Star Trek TOS Klingons wut??

So my wife and I have gotten into alot of Sci-fi stuff in the last year and have been watching TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, the moveis...etc....

I decided to start watching TOS and I was shocked at the way the Klingons used to look. Look like a bunch of white dudes lathered in tanning spray.

I did some research on it and there are some interesting tidbits as to why they are so different compared to the movies.

And why was Spock so green looking in the pilot episodes?

forgive my Star Trek noobness :)

What it came down to, was basically budgets and eras.

Spock was more "green" likely to make it more obvious that he was an 'alien.'

As to the Klingons, well, the 60s weren't known for their makeup prosthetic expertise. And Star Trek had a much smaller to work with then than now.

A few episodes of Enterprise explained it. They were trying to make "super soldiers" and messed up, taking away the beautiful ridges. They came back later after a few generations.

Grendels said:
A few episodes of Enterprise explained it. They were trying to make "super soldiers" and messed up, taking away the beautiful ridges. They came back later after a few generations.

yea I remember watching that and wondering what they were talking about. Now I see

Ahh, the final season of Enterprise. Also known as the 'Tying up loose ends' season. ;D

Also worth watching is the DS9 episode, 'Trials and Tribble-ations', where Worf is asked to explain why the TOS Klingons look so different to him.

Vulcan blood is copper based, which is why it has a greenish tint.

When they made the remastered TOS series for blu ray, they added more green to Spocks skin tone to make this more apparent.

Latest posts

Back