SR-71 Blackbird

Ace: I have used Bondo putty before, back in the dark ages before YouTube, and even gasp the internets.......

The stuff was fairly easy to work with, and did a good job. But since I started using squadrons white, I have been happy with it. I did zero sanding on the black bird. (video up soon, probably tomorrow.) I am happy with the technique I have learned with this stuff, and probably will stick with it. We each have our chosen techniques, and what works for me, may not work for you. But thank you for the suggestion!!!!

JMac: I have a tube of Squadron's green, and used it in one of my stalled out builds. (We all have them don't we?) I will have to revisit it at a later date. From my understanding the difference between the white and green is texture. The white is a courser texture than the green.

I have seen the tape technique before. If I was going to do any sanding on this kit, I would have used it. The panel lines on this thing are pretty weak, so any sanding at all would remove them. For a larger kit, I would probably give it a try. I came across it right before I did this build.

I might have to re-visit the liquid mask thing. Years ago I hand painted all of my models and that skill didn't leave me. I am far more comfortable painting by hand than I am masking with tape and spraying. So a liquid mask would be ideal.

nice build, waiting for the paint!
thanks for the tips on acetone, doesnt the acetone corrode the plastic?
on the masking fluid you can use mineral turpentine to clean your brushes, but right before it dries
you can also use some pf the caps from liquid yoghurts to mix paints... etc. they work great because you can stack them in piles

Yes the White Squadron putty is coarser, and also drys faster than the green. The same technique using acetone to thin it out can be used with the green as well.

Mr. Surfacer works well, but not for large gaps. Vallejo also has a Plastic Putty whose consistency is somewhere between Squadron and Mr. Surfacer, and works well also.

Rodrigoq said:
nice build, waiting for the paint!
thanks for the tips on acetone, doesnt the acetone corrode the plastic?
on the masking fluid you can use mineral turpentine to clean your brushes, but right before it dries
you can also use some pf the caps from liquid yoghurts to mix paints... etc. they work great because you can stack them in piles

I am using acetone based fingernail polish remover. Not enough acetone to hurt the plastic. As you can see in the video it didn't hurt it at all.

Thanks for the tip!!

Looks like good progress.
Also reminds me that I need to finally get brave and fire up my own airbrush

The air brush isn't all that bad. What I found bad was spraying enamel through it. I was not happy with the results, and have left enamels to my external mix airbrush. Something very easy to clean. I just need to do better with mixing up the paints. I should probably actually measure out what I mix.

I had the mix off on the next model I am building, it didn't come out well. But if the mix is right, way better than rattle can.

Hey Grendels,

Just as a side note - I had problems mixing paint until I started using the little plastic measuring cups that you can get at the drug store for measuring out kids cough medicine. I use the wide cup shaped ones that measure up to approx. 20-30 ml ( 1 fl.oz.). They are easy to clean out (the Tamiya paint won't stick to the ones I have because they are PP or PE) and reusable.

Keep the videos coming - good stuff.

JMac

Jmac: Thanks for the tip, I will have to go look for them. Clean up is one of the reasons I have been eyeballing it.

Well here is the next installment, there will only be one more part to this:

SR-71 Part 4

hay bud, if you dont like the gloss, you can always spray a can of clear flat over it, couldnt you?

keep them babies coming, im enjoying this, i really want to see what you can make of this snap tight kit.

13aceofspades13 said:
Grendels said:
Yes you can put a clear flat coat over a clear gloss coat anytime.

thats what i figured, i have never used clear flat before..
Just make sure you mask off any clear pieces before laying down the flat coat. I guarantee it will fog your clear pieces

The first thing I do before paint is mask the clear parts, and then I do not remove the mask until the very very end. For the very Reason Quaralane provided.

Latest posts

Back