Space Marine Land Raider Crusader

Cave_Dweller

Hey dudes, here's a model I've been working on for my Space Marine army. I've been learning alot about making realistic weathering and armor from reading the forums here and have tried to practice it on this model. Specifically what I did was apply modulated colors with oil paints on top of the games workshop acrylic base I used.

I think I got really good results for a first time, but there's still some brush strokes and heavy paint that doesn't look perfect. Blending oils definitely takes some practice to get that subtle effect to simulate oil stains running down the hull and discolorations. White is an especially hard color to work with! I swear acrylic and oils in white all suck, the only good white paint I've ever found is Tamiya. But, I digress.

I've also got to decide if I want to mud it up real good and add scorch marks, dust etc, as well as more paint chips and dings. Mudding the tracks definitely looks good, but you can go overboard. One thing I'd really like to learn is how to make realistic dust. I've seen some excellent dust on real world army tank models on this forum, and it just looks so realistic. Is that done with oils super thinned down with turpentine?

Overall though I'm very pleased and love the way the oils look. I'm applying them to every model I paint now, in fact!

Anyway, here's some pics

243782_sm-.jpg

243783_sm-.jpg

243781_sm-.jpg

243780_sm-.jpg

243779_sm-.jpg

243778_sm-.jpg

fumblethumbs said:
Very cool!! I like the pumpkin decal, (or is it painted)? The weathering and staining looks great!

Thanks man. The pumpkin is painted on and is the symbol for my army, which I call Octoberforce (or alternately the Halloween Marines). I even went so far as to paint it into the shoulder pads of every marine. It's definitely a labor of love.

Cave_Dweller said:
fumblethumbs said:
Very cool!! I like the pumpkin decal, (or is it painted)? The weathering and staining looks great!

... The pumpkin is painted on and is the symbol for my army, which I call Octoberforce (or alternately the Halloween Marines). I even went so far as to paint it into the shoulder pads of every marine.

Octoberforce...... ;D ;D ;D

Excellent work!! Is this a kit, and if so, who makes it, or is it a scratch? I love the details, I keep seeing more, as I look at the pics.

Unless I'm wrong, that's the kit from Games Workshop.
Been a LONG time since I built one

Ya its the GW kit. I added some extra details on top...bags and canvas rolls from 1/35 tamiya army tank kits, and heavy gauge guitar string for the antennae. Heavy gauge guitar string makes for really good antennae and just a general modeling material!

Latest posts

Back