Sharkfin B17

Moon Puppy

Well the New Year brings us new builds starting up. Gives me a chance to do something I've been wanting to do for a long time.

B17c000.jpg
B17c001.jpg

Figure I know how to mess up a Natural Metal Finish I can show case that on this. We'll see.

Cool project! The early marks of the B-17 had such a great Art Deco look to them, very sleek. Not so combat-ready, perhaps, but they're great examples of style and design in American aviation in the 30's.

I think that's what attracted me to the early B17s Baron, it was the peak of the pre war aviation development. Out of the hanger it could out run any and all fighters that were flying in the day. That's pretty dang cool!

Not much to look at right now. Closed up the halves. the glazing is giving me a fit so I"m trying the clear CA for windows trick. Hope it works. I'll have more pictures when we get to that.

B17c003.jpg

B17c004.jpg

I did not even bother with the bomb bay. next step is figuring out all those windows and masking them!

I've used CA in the past on the B-1 notorious gaps of it's windscreen. Hopefully this one will not take as much sanding.

I've toyed at times, too, with the idea of a B-17 what-if, converting an early mark to an airliner. After all, its grandfather was an airliner. I think it would look pretty cool in civilian livery.

Wouldn't be that far off the mark Baron, there were many that were taken for air shuttle service. The B15 was used for cargo in the Americas during the war. Big Mac even had a personal B17 for use and let's not forget the Swoose, personal ride for General George Brett.

Latest posts

Back