SDKFZ 163 Sturmgeschulz IV

wjbrandel

20240309_185734.jpg

20240329_191532.jpg

20240329_191544.jpg

20240329_191603.jpg

20240329_191627.jpg

Got this model for my birthday a few months ago. Finally decided it's time to build it. However I decided to get some after market detail sets, zimmerit, a PE detail set and some metal tracks.

Now after seeing the tracks, I'm beginning to question my life choices with this model. What I was expecting was plastic tracks like I used on my Walker Bulldog, even though the description did indeed say metal tracks. The zimmerit PE I got was not what I expected (in hind sight I clicked on the wrong item) what I expected was a set to create zimmerit from putty. Oh well, but the tracks are what have me questioning my life choices. Regardless this is going to be a fun build for me.

If anyone has worked with this type of track before, advise is welcome.

View attachment 115619

View attachment 115620

View attachment 115621

View attachment 115622

View attachment 115623

Got this model for my birthday a few months ago. Finally decided it's time to build it. However I decided to get some after market detail sets, zimmerit, a PE detail set and some metal tracks.

Now after seeing the tracks, I'm beginning to question my life choices with this model. What I was expecting was plastic tracks like I used on my Walker Bulldog, even though the description did indeed say metal tracks. The zimmerit PE I got was not what I expected (in hind sight I clicked on the wrong item) what I expected was a set to create zimmerit from putty. Oh well, but the tracks are what have me questioning my life choices. Regardless this is going to be a fun build for me.

If anyone has worked with this type of track before, advise is welcome.
I built the out of box tamiya, great kit. I didn't have any after market parts so will be very interested in your build as I might give it another go with all the extras. Pantherman

I built the out of box tamiya, great kit. I didn't have any after market parts so will be very interested in your build as I might give it another go with all the extras. Pantherman
I'll let ya know Pantherman, I'll be posting pictures of my mistakes....I mean progress here.

Life willing I'll be starting it tonight after work.

I'll let ya know Pantherman, I'll be posting pictures of my mistakes....I mean progress here.

Life willing I'll be starting it tonight after work.
We all learn by our mistakes. I think I must be the most learned member here after some of the howlers I have made !!!

It's just for fun so don't get stressed out if things start going wrong, just walk away, take a time out and return to it later. Usually works for me. Pantherman

Thanks for the advise.

I build to relax so I try not to get stressed, but like you I've made some howlers as well and there are 3 models that I stopped and refuse to even look at because they are frustrating.

Thanks for the advise.

I build to relax so I try not to get stressed, but like you I've made some howlers as well and there are 3 models that I stopped and refuse to even look at because they are frustrating.
Only 3 on the shelf of doom. Your doing well. Pantherman

Started the zimmerit last night. Surprisingly easy to put on. I started the zimmerit before any assembly work because it looked like it might be easier. I wasn't able to put all the zimmerit on because some of it requires the top and bottom hulls to be assembled...so those pieces will come later.

20240330_194202.jpg20240330_194247.jpg20240330_194303.jpg20240330_194315.jpg

Can you tell us the brand of the P E zimmerit set? Looks good so far, even with no paint yet. I've tried using putty before and I wasn't any good at it.

That should look really nice once it's painted. It already looks good.

20240407_065632.jpg

20240407_065657.jpg

20240407_065718.jpg

20240407_065744.jpg

20240407_065803.jpg

As you can see the zimmerit is all in place. As easy as it was I don't think I will be using the zimmerit PE again unless it looks fantastic after painting, I just don't care for the way it looks right now and the fact it does cover up some of the details on the model.

20240407_082918.jpg

After I joined the upper and lower hulls together, I discovered a huge hole on both sides with nothing on the sprues that would fill them in so...

20240407_083927.jpg

Evergreen sheets to the rescue. Cut the sheets to size and glued them in place. I don't think I will be blending them in because of the weathering I plan on doing and the place on the model.

View attachment 115938

View attachment 115939

View attachment 115940

View attachment 115941

View attachment 115942

As you can see the zimmerit is all in place. As easy as it was I don't think I will be using the zimmerit PE again unless it looks fantastic after painting, I just don't care for the way it looks right now and the fact it does cover up some of the details on the model.

View attachment 115943

After I joined the upper and lower hulls together, I discovered a huge hole on both sides with nothing on the sprues that would fill them in so...

View attachment 115944

Evergreen sheets to the rescue. Cut the sheets to size and glued them in place. I don't think I will be blending them in because of the weathering I plan on doing and the place on the model.
I think the PE zimmerit looks great. Shame about the missing panel but great recovery. Pantherman

View attachment 115938

View attachment 115939

View attachment 115940

View attachment 115941

View attachment 115942

View attachment 115943

View attachment 115944

I have been inspired so have the tank on order. Pantherman

I think the PE zimmerit looks great. Shame about the missing panel but great recovery. Pantherman
Thanks. I was a bit bummed about the missing panel. After looking at it and thinking about it the zimmerit does look good, I think the dislike of it comes from it being the first time I've built a model with zimmerit on it.

20240408_104055.jpg

20240408_104109.jpg

20240408_104125.jpg

After working on it all day Sunday and the this morning, most of the assembly work is done. All that is left is to put the wheels on and to assemble the tracks...speaking of which does anyone know how many track links are per side? I can't seem to find the answer on the internet.

Thanks. I was a bit bummed about the missing panel. After looking at it and thinking about it the zimmerit does look good, I think the dislike of it comes from it being the first time I've built a model with zimmerit on it.
Can you let me have the details for the zimmerit as I'm struggling to find them. Pantherman

Latest posts

Back