Scratchin !!!

The Nylon Gag

I just wanted to get you guys opinions about a couple of things.

I am currently scratch building The Nylon Gag Mk1, a Red Bull delivery thing-ma-jig/space whatsit (see details in what-cha-buidin Thread, sorry not savy enough to put a link), so far i've used Pvc tubing, styrene sheet/tube/shaped stock and some wood and lots of filler. I fully intend to kitbash lots and lots of small details later.
My Mum is currently visiting from England so the man cave is temporarily the guest room again, so during this period i have been aquiring some additional building materials (i do have a point i promise), everything i see is vetted to see if it can be utilized. But yesterday i think i crossed a line. Whilst in the bathroom doing my buisness i noticed what a fantastic shape the urine cake holder was and it would, with some modification, be perfect for my engines/rockets (Don't panic i didn't take the holder from the urinal).
So my question is 'do you think its ok to use house hold items in a scratch build rather than fabricate your own'?
Eventually i do intend to get into vac forming and molding but times are hard at the mo so these advanced technique will have to wait a while.

Personally i think it is o.k to use such items as long as you can't tell what it 'used' to be. What do you guys think?

Another thing whilst i'm here, to anybody who is laking motivation, Scatch build something of your own design. As a returning modeller, it has been very liberating for me not to have to follow instructions or get it 'Studio Scale perfect' but just to get it until i think it looks 'cool'.Having said that, I have so much respect for people who do follow the original 'hero' version, i just don't have the patience or skill to acheive this level of authenticity at the mo.

Discus

The Nylon Gag

IMO... Scratch-building is making something out of material (or object) not intended for that purpose. I have used the cover of a computer mouse, in part, to make the canopy of a helicopter.

I say fish that puppy out, give it a good rinsing and have at it. Oh and post pictures. LOL

Good luck.

I've been getting the urge to do some scracthbuilding myself. Yes, it is very rewarding. Using household materials makes sense. I think everybody does that now and again. Recycling at it's best!

I say use what you have! As long as it looks good, I don't think it really matters where it came from!

Latest posts

Back