Schwimmwagen FORD - Germany, spring 1.945

Jelly

Rob. G.
Hey guys,

I know this is a soft-skinned one, but I think it fits better in “Armor” (military) than in “Cars”.

Let me show you my idea of a… Beute FORD GPA (Beute = “captured” ).

Yeah, again a Good Very Ol´ Tamiya chap… pure 70´s or before that plastic mould… the only kit of this vehicle on the market… built 95% O.O.B.

Plates, Placards & so came from Archer, if I remember well.

I´ve mentally set the vehicle in spring 1.945, and it is supposed that the vehicle has been “adopted” by a “generic” Waffen SS Unit, a Signal Unit.

Fresh & Wet muddy environment, mates.

;D Some of you will be thinkin´ : “ why this Ford GPA lacks the windscreen… this guy comes first with a SU122 dressed almost like a Drag-Queen… luckily he named it “Hellikki” and not “Priscilla” … and now this gizmo… is this guy smokin´a lot of pot, is this guy constantly openin´ his doors of perception, did this guy had a lot of sun on his head during his “jobs in very hot places” ??? “

The answer is…

YES. :eek:

No, that was a joke, ;D

The absolutely false reality that is truly false is that NAH, nein, niet, NO. :mad:

The Tamiya GPA windscreen was more or less a ****, and after checking the web, I found that either the Red Army (during WWII of course) and the TSHAL (original Israelian Army ) had some “curious” tendency to remove the windscreen ( don´t ask me why: I just work here ).

I´m not a liar, here are the proofs: :eek:

A WWII Red Army Lend-Leased one with the windscreen removed to allow placing a MG:

Ford20GPA_in20service_1.jpg

And two very early photos of Ford GPA in parade fashion, very initial TSHAL, I think from 1948 – 1950 or so: :eek: & :eek:

ISRAELITSHALPARADE2.jpg

ISRAELITSHALPARADE1.jpg

Well, and this is my boy: ;)

P1280015.jpg

P1280016.jpg

P1280014.jpg

P1280017.jpg

P1280018.jpg

P1280019.jpg

P1280020.jpg

P1280021.jpg

P1280026.jpg

P1280031.jpg

Today´s pics:

( In this photo you will also be able to appreciate the texture an quality of the "kitchen all-purposes absorbing paper" that I´ve smartly used as “photographic background”) :eek:
P1010705.jpg

P1010703.jpg

Well, and finally some complementary items to the Beute Ford GPA: figures are Verlinden German Radio Team (score: 7/10 – lack of painting and proper wiring instructions for the german radio –not shown here- ); Jerrycans came from TASCA (score: 10/10); about the other items: weapons came from a Dragon 2GEN figure set (Score: 10/10), other from Verlinden (disappointing :mad: more and more the Verlinden products, at least the few articles I´ve bought).

P1010707.jpg

And this last is a reversible double camoes parka painted in (my concept of) SUMPFMUSTER ´44 camo pattern (the other one figure will receive a plain “civilian commercial parka color”, surely in deep blue or so, as I think that in early Spring 1945, clothing equipment of the German forces must have been some bizarre).

P1010708.jpg

Hope you liked it, :D
As always,
Positive Waves comments & jokes are FULLY welcome. :)

Cheers
RG

Great Job Jelly! I like!!! ;D Got her pretty well dirtied up!! Look forward to seeing the figs finished too! ;)

thats great jelly i love teh camo pattern on the uniform its real nice,

i find a few sheets of A4 make a neat "light box" for taking my pics when i cba doing it that way

JELLY ,

I dig it Bro ! Great lil' Amphib ! The Weathering is Awesome ! Great Job on th Pigments ! Th Interior is Bangin' !! \m/

Do you mean to say that th Verlinden Instructions are Vague & Non-Existent ! WoW ! What a Shocker .... Not !

You wanna see how to wire a Radio - http://www.laud.no/ww2/ - This Kat is from th Netherlands I think. He has an Awesome Collection of German WWII Radios !! Scroll around & you should see th Radios in your set & how they are painted & wired !!

- http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=152193 - Oh ! Here's a cool Find. Period Pix of the Field Radios in Use !!!

Also - Cool lookin Camo on th Figures !!

I dig th Psychedelic Backdrop for th GPA !! DUDE !

Great Job JELLY ! I look forward to seein More !!

Esta es la mejor Mota en El Mundo ! lol

Talk to ya soon Bro !!

Hey jelly looks great man awesome job on the weathering. The figs look great nice camo job on the parkas, keep up the great work.

Panzerman75

Hey Jelly!

Nice to see the old Ford GPA built up, not to often that you see these anymore. I always kind of like the look of these, a bit stranger then the usual. Really like what you have done with it and the "under new owner" element is a nice touch.

Just plan Koolness! 8)

Sorry Jelly ..missed this one ::) Looks like a great build of an interesting subject !!..coming on very nice ...any updates ??....I like the camo on the fig too ...very nice ;)

Chris.

Hi again guys,

:D Biskup, my friend !

Again a sparring model, another cheap VERY old one…

I deliberately wanted the GPA to look really different.

First took out the windscreen.

Then overpainted the OD base color with some mix of Dark Yellow.

Used some Archer Fine Transfers for the dashboard, and made some sloppy placards fot the vehicke.

I also made some very basis masks for the Balkenkreuz.

Mudding: as in “my mind” this vehicle was in action more or less in February – March 1945, in wet environment, it was a proper season to get her “brutally mudded” (as I wanted). I followed Mig Jimenez steps, and applied the mud with the aid of and old brus plus the blow of the AB… there are the results!

: D Hey Chris ! How are you! Well, not too much advances, really.

I consider the GPA as finished, but the figurines are still not finished: those are the figurines that some ten days ago were giving me headaches with its glossy appearance after applying incorrectly matt barnish… that trouble is solved thanks to the tech support of a lot of guys (Biskup between them! ;) ), again, the radio, firearms & so are not painted.

The camo reversible parka “tries” to emulate a Sumpfmunster camo, still I should paint some vertical short lines that the original pattern had, but that lines are tiny as a hair, and I don´t know very well what to do: either to paint the lines or not to paint the lines…

The other figure has received a deep blue parka, like the one I saw in a German WWII winter tanker figurine… I liked it a lot. February – March 1945 was nemesis for Germany, I think that a lot of troops surely wear looking oddly…

I find that painting the figures is tricky, Chris

I´m glad that you´ve liked it, mate :) :)

See you guys,
RG

I think it looks really good and trust me every next kit will be better.
Regards
Lukasz

Tony lee said:
Coming together Roberto,the tarp looks good.
Tony lee

Thanks, Tony, :)

just a folded piece of toilette paper, first soaked with white glue diluted in water, to aid it getting to the contour of a piece of Polystyrene foam that I put on the seat to emulate "a box",

after it dried, I took some putty and diluted it highly with acetone, and applied over the paper with an old brush...

Glad you liked it, Tony ;)
RG

Latest posts

Back