Scale grass

I have some in the mail now too. Can't wait to try em out. I ordered several (5 packs - different lengths and colors) of the Silflorettes, not terribly expensive either.

Capt_Taggert said:
1/35 scale. I checked the website and the grass looks nice but i can't afford the machine that puts it on. Way over my budget.

Scott Girvan said:
This past summer I made a DIY static grass applicator - it works OK, not as good as the $100+ one, but it only cost me $7.

There are several how-tos on making one on YouTube. I didn't tape the make of mine since it's been done. I will show it to you when I make the Spitfire groudwork - explain how I did it, show it in action and link to some videos.

If there's still any interest in a DIY applicator I have a short tutorial on my blog.

Another way of doing it, according to one of my friends, is to simply turn the model upside-down until the glue is dry. That should straighten the grass out - or so he claims...

I received my order yesterday and man they do look pretty damn cool. I can't wait to use the stuff. I'm thinking of putting another order in for some other Silfor items. I too agree that the Spring tufts are a bit too green, but they can still be used if mixed with the summer tufts, or some dry brushing to tone them down.

scratchmod

www.scratchmod.com

Nice - waiting for my order to arrive. Looking forward to seeing your groundwork with those items.

5.jpg

the grass you see above is woodlands scenics long grass. It comes as a pack of bristles about 4 inches long and you cut it down and "plant" it in tufts. It's essentially like someone cut all the bristles off a big paintbrush and put them in a packet.

I figured a good way to grass a large area was to lay a base of static grass down and then plant the woodlands scenic stuff down in between. The static grass actually holds it up. It takes a while but the results are nice.

cheers
Jon

WoW !! This looks Awesome & Very realistic ! I've been lookin fro something like this. I've wanted to use something like this to Mimic the Tall Grasses/Wheat on the Eastern Front - Russian Steppe in 1/35th scale.

Do you have a more in depth How To: on Planting this long grass ? It's just hard for me to visualize. Planting it on top of Static grass ? Do you need to drill holes ?, use a Glue ?

Thanx in Advance !

I'm glad I found this post I have been trying to figure out how to do the grass for the lawn of my 1/25 scale Little old Lady from Pasadena diorama thanks guys.

littleoldlady7.jpg

Latest posts

Back