Rough water

The Nylon Gag

I had an idea for a dio of myself in my canoe, paddling on a white water slalom course.

Now the problem with this is making the water so it looks realistic.

I had the idea to sculpt the rough water from clay and vac-form a sheet of clear styrene over this, but i read on the plastruct web site that you can't use the clear sheets to vacform?

Does anyone know of any other clear sheets that would work with vac forming?
The thickness i want to use would be about 0.020"

The Nylon Gag

Why not try out something like the Vallejo Water products, comes in a couple of different colors, looks cloudy in the bottle, but dries clear, sculpt it to shape, top it off with the Vallejo Foam/Snow to replicate the white caps.

Not familiar with those products, but thanks for the info. I will look into them.

I realy wanted to go the clear sheet route because i want to wash the inside of the form in light translucient colours to get the not solid effect of moving water. I was just thinking of ways to make realistic water that isn't flat, like the resin mixes you can get, but shows movement

If i take the workings out of a small fiber optic X-mas house decoration, replace the colour wheel with my own ripply effect one, diffuse the light a bit and Robert is your Fathers Brother (Bobs yer Uncle) i hope, as this is all just theory at the mo?

Here is the picture i would like to reproduce, taken in 1989 at Old Windsor Division 2 slalom event.

'Play time' during free practice on friday night, the idea of the game was to hit the #6 board you can see picture left.

I am just about to win free beer all night from my competitors by not only hitting the board but also nearly pulling down the whole set up with the back of my boat oops sorry.
The good old days. ;D

Today i would probably dislocate my shoulder just getting the gear on? ;D

Oh to be young, brave & stupid again ;D

The Old Gagster

[attachment deleted by admin]

I think a combination of clay sculpting and the Water products would be a godo mix....you would get the shapes you wanted and the perfect look, lay a base coat of the required paints ( not sure if they would have to be enamel or acrylic ) then lay on a thin layer of the Water. For the raised portions or to apply at angles, I'm sure a gimble setup or fixing it at various angles would get the coverage you would like and stretch the product out substantially

Latest posts

Back