Rotting Ford...1953 Ford T-bird

scratchmod

Well after seeing some nice looking cars here and on my forum...thanks Chris and Boots...I decided that after nearly twenty years I'd finally do a car model again. The only thing is that it'll be rusted and sitting in the woods.
The model I chose is the old Monogram 53 Ford T-bird Elvira car. The kit goes back to the late 80's but still looks OK. I'v had the kit sitting around in the basement for the past 6 years, and before that it was at my sisters house for 10 years.....I think it's finally time to build it don't you think.

I plan on using many of the armor modeling weathering techniques on this baby, especially the use of the AK Interactive slimy green. Ok, here are a couple of picks of the model it's self.

53FordT-bird001.jpg

53FordT-bird003.jpg

Here are a couple of reference pics that I'll be using for this build.
*********Pics for discussion only*****

55480005.jpg

55480007.jpg

3769966114_1860685ab7.jpg

I think you can see what I have planned for this one. I will first get my M4 HT done before investing too much time in this build. For now all I've done is test fit the body and chassis...very tempted to start though.

scratchmod

Awesome. Wicked. Super. Great. Gonna be fun. Sure to learn lots. Can't wait to see more.
!!!!!!

Looks like this build is of interest already ;D When I do start this build I'll be sure to post some pics and try to explain what I've done.

Rob

Yeah baby!!....................you know you can count me in buddy, this looks a lovely lookin` motor and it`s gonna be suuuperb when she`s all dirtied up matey 8)

`Boots`

Thanks Boots, glad you like the idea buddy. Right now it's all mental planning. I might hold off and enter this in the SMA spring contest, if temptation doesn't get the best of me first. ;D ;)

scratchmod

If you want to enter it make sure you don't start before the contest start date!!! which will be announced soon.

Thanks Scott. I figured that so I put the kit on a high shelf as not to get tempted ;D. I only removed the two parts that I had test fit waaaaay back when, but the rest is still on the sprue. I'll take a pic of that to show it has not been started. Will have to buy a news paper when the time comes as well.

scratchmod

rust is a art form, and to make plastic look like rotting flaking metal is a challange in its own, cant wait to see what happens here XD

Doing old beaters are ALOT of fun. A great way to use a kit that isn't exactly your favorite too. I have one I need to finish but I've been exploring the military model thing lately. It's all weathering=it's all good!

I have never seen a car with so much mossy green stuff on it like the picture above. If you don't mind me saying, I would suggest not doing the whole thing green as it may look unrealistic. But it is your model so do what pleases you, and besides, according to your pic above cars like this must really exist. Maybe you have to live in a swamp!LOL ;D

Thanks guys for the encouraging words.This is my first car in nearly twenty years, I mainly do armor so I want to use the armor weathering techniques to see what can be done with cars. As for the green slime, I posted the really green car pic to show that they are out there. I won't be covering my car with that much, just trying something new out. My rusty half track will be getting the same treatment as this car.

scratchmod

I really want to see what you bring to this build after doing armor for so long. I am just now really getting into the whole weathering thing myself. Most all of my builds have been all nice and show room shiny or slightly track used. Love the new techniques I have learned since being on this site, has really opened up a whole new world of modeling.

Is it done yet??? lol

PS ordering some AK Interactive stuff really soon.

Thanks bro. There is soo much that can be done now a days and it only gets better. I'm looking at this model as it were an armor piece...weathering wise. I have some ideas on how the painting process will be.
Not done yet ;D ;D waiting for the contest to start.

scratchmod

OH Yeah !! This is gonna be neat !! I dig th body style too !! I'm lookin' forward to seeing this !!

ERIK

I;m dying to start Erik....but we have to wait buddy. Yep those old timers with the wings do look cool.

scratchmod

Oh ..you're just a big tease !!!! ;D

Chris.

With your skills I've seen, this will be an awsome model.
Funny, I've been challenged to a local group build using cars. To build a Death Race ( Car Wars ) car model.
So when is the Spring Contest?

A death race car sounds pretty cool...look forward to seeing some pics of that build.

The contest should be announced soon....I'm waiting for it myself. Might have a plane to go with the car in the contest. Two types of models I haven't build in many years...should be interesting :D

scratchmod

Ooooh...ya gonna do a rusty plane ?? ;D

Chris.

Latest posts

Back