Ship by Fran Ramero
Techniques by Mig Jimenez
Narration by Iain Hamilton

60 minutes in length

Model: AK-651 DVD

MSRP 19.95

1.jpg

Quote from AK Interactive Website:

With this DVD, the modeler fan of ships and warships will learn how to weather their ships in a realistic, simple and effective way. In a very visual step by step the modeler will see how to obtain give to our ships the worn look so characteristic of any ship after some days at sea. The DVD covers different techniques and types of wear, from simple to complex, from a ship after few days on sea to another almost completely spoiled by the sea. Although the DVD focuses on warships of the Kriegsmarine, these techniques can be applied in any ship and even useful for other topics.

Review:

In the never ending quest for learning new techniques to help in creating the realistic feel to models along comes the next step; AK Interactive’s Weathering German Ships DVD. This is a step by step video tutorial to help the modeler obtain weathering not just limited to the ship building genre. Mig Jimenez shows us his techniques on nautical weathering using models constructed by Fran Romero and narrated by Iain Hamilton in the English version. There is subtitle Options on this DVD in English, Spanish and Polish. There are 6 chapters to this technique packed DVD.

Chapter 1 – Preparing our model
Chapter 2 – Basic Painting and decks
Chapter 3 – Painting the hull
Chapter 4 - Dirt and Rust
Chapter 5 – Advanced Techniques: Chipping
Chapter 6 – Advanced Techniques: Special effects

After watching the incredible reel footage of the the Bismarck that backdrops the credits we are led into Chapter 1 were Mig shows us how to prepare the model for the painting stage of your project. We learn the layout procedure in preparing a ship model for the painting process.

2.png
Here all the model components are assembled

3.png
Disassembling the model

Being able to separate and organize you project before painting will help you in making the painting process a more enjoyable experience.

Next in Chapter 2, Mig cover priming of the model prior to the painting stage as well as painting base coats. As part of the painting we are shown the layering of paint coats begin the stage of obtaining depth to the model. After the painting, this chapter covers the beginning stages of the weathering process including the use of washes and oils to add dimension and depth to the painting.

4.png
Applying the primer to various sections of the ship

5.png
Laying down the deck painting in layers

6.png
Using a number of products to weather the deck components

7.png
Applications of washes to bring out the features

8.png
Through the use of oils you manipulate the light and shadows

Chapter three covers the detailed painting of the hull. With the application of oil paints to add layers to the hull Mig adds the realism into the project but does not stop there. He shows us streaking techniques, chipping through the use of paints adding hull weathering at a whole new level.

9.png
Step by step effects applications to weather the hull

10.png
Continuing to layer the effects to maximize the depth to the model

In Chapter 4 we learn the application of dirt, grime and oily effects that give the model layer upon layer to increase the total effect of the realistic view finishing with the application of rust effects. The DVD shows us how to blend all of these techniques to create the most realistic results you can get.

11.png
Adding dirt and oil stains

12.png
Showing the techniques for adding chipping and rust.

13.png
Here is the completely weathered model

In Chapter 5 we are let into the world of chipping techniques. Using AK Worn Effects to achieve layers of chipping in the paint, Mig works his way through an approach to painting and weathering an explosion damaged German vessel. From the painting of the hull, to the addition of the camouflage and then showing us how we can chip the layers of each back to get the most out of our model.

14.png
Here Mig has chipped back several layers of paint to get the desired look he wants

Finally in Chapter 6 Mig gives us a tour into the work of Special Effects. Here he shows us how to get steel effects applied to areas of our model along with the application of layered oils, dirt and grime to obtain the aging effects of the stains. And last but not least we are shown some techniques for applying rusty burnt effects to our models to maximize the overall depth to the model.

15.png
Burnt, fire damaged steel with smoke damage

16.png
A fully weathered war damaged ship

Conclusion

Through the use of a wide variety of techniques and products, Mig Jimenez shows us all a new way to approach weathering of our sea going models. AK Interactive has given us nothing less than exciting and useful tool in the form of a DVD for obtaining maximum sense of realism to any model that we chose to build. All of the techniques shown within this video are not limited to ship modeling. To the contrary, each and every technique will apply to all genres within the modeling world. The step by step explanation of these techniques shown on this video a clearly shown and easy to follow. The beauty of this DVD is that if you review any part or the entire tutorial over and over again. If you wish to begin to learn how to obtain weathering, chipping, rusting and special effects to achieve incredible results on your models, then this is the DVD for you!

If you wish to purchase a copy of the AK Interactive: Weathering German Ships they are available through http://www.ak-interactive-usa.com/

AK Interactive: Weathering German Ships Model:651 DVD

Thanks for taking the time to check out this review!!!

It is indeed Hook! Mig runs through the process Step by Step and makes it easy to obtain! ;) Thanks for checking out the review!! ;)

While I am not a ship build per say, I think i would like to get this DVD so turn learn the process none the less. Would be great to have a blown up piece of arm in a diorama with this technique applied.

I do have this DVD and have found it useful.. Think spud recommended it.

DVD1.jpg

Spud did not steer you wrong. Great DVD for learning techniques. The DVD can only aid in learning and perfecting more techniques to use. The burnt effect can be a bit tricky at first but with practice anything is possible!!

I will only emphasize that any technique can most certainly be applied to any type of model in any genre. The same goes for the effects themselves. I, along with many have used "name specific" effects from AK on projects they were not intended. Chris.S uses the Blue Panzer Wash on his aircraft from time to time! I use the Streaking grime not only for Streaks but thinned down as a pin wash and for wood accents and more.

;)

That looks right up your street T ....or should I say ,that floats yer boat ;D ;D ....Nevermind ,getting me coat ::) ;)

Looks a good un tho .

Chris.

Thanks Chris!! I knew a lot of these techniques but there were a few I didn't. Always good to keep up on things and keeping the tools sharp so to speak!! Not to mention just fun watching Mig work his magic. ;)

lol Chris. im defo getting it and i dont build flaoty things

Yeah I may have to pick this up, I really enjoyed the Winter Wash DVD. Nice review T! ;D

Thnaks John!! Nice to be able to watch the applications and be able to watch them when ever you want as well...lol...over and over again! ;)

Latest posts

Back