Revell 1/72 sale P-38 Lightning

Progress made a couple weeks ago...

Bottom wing sections, rear canopy section for the M version assembled...

DSCN2435.jpg

DSCN2428.jpg

Engines, nose radar, belly tanks assembled...

DSCN2429.jpg

DSCN2431.jpg

Rear radar module behind pilot seat

DSCN2430.jpg

Armor plate installed...

DSCN2434.jpg

Braces for engine assembled on...

DSCN2437.jpg

Belly tanks are on!!

DSCN2436.jpg

More progress made last week. Painted Green Zinc Chromate to all inside gear doors, cockpit, rear glass portion of radar module, and both pilot and rear radarman painted

DSCN2442.jpg

DSCN2444.jpg

DSCN2445.jpg

DSCN2443.jpg

This what it'll look like with rear radar man behind pilot. Instruction guide says to install him until last before canopy is on.

DSCN2446.jpg

Next progress I'll be tackling is masking this canopy. Should be fun...

DSCN2447.jpg

I hadn't realized there even 'was' a two-seat P-38

Nice progress on this one

Yeah, that is a true classic! I used to admire it in the catalog when I was a kid. But I never bought it, because my favorite scale was 1/48. Your thread makes me wish I had built it!
That's a great pick; that boxing might be from the first run or within a year or two. So the molding should be crisp!
Revell had switched to using images of the completed models on box lids, instead of box art, to show what the actual product looked like (if you weren't a 10-year-old boy, but an adult who built models for a living ;) )
It's interesting that the pilot and radarman are not Revell sculpts, but scaled-down versions of two of Monogram's 1/48 scale figures. The pilot is the one used in the P-40B kit, among others. The radarman is the gunner from the Monogram SBD.
I look forward to seeing your next updates!

I hadn't realized there even 'was' a two-seat P-38

Nice progress on this one

Another two-seat version was the "Droop Snoot". In place of the nose armament, a bombardier's station was installed, with a Norden bombsight. The aircraft served as a pathfinder or lead plane for other fighter-bombers or medium bombers. When the Lightning's bombardier dropped, the rest of the flight would drop its bombs, too.
Revell kitted that as a variant in their 1/32 P-38 kit. That's another one I wish now I had built back then!

Progress November 12, 2021

Cowlings installed on twin booms

DSCN2457.jpg

MGs painted Gunmetal

DSCN2456.jpg

Rear radar man in place, MGs installed (snapped in place - not glued)

DSCN2458.jpg

The reasoning why I simply "snapped" MGs panel in place to make it easy to line up the barrel holes on the nose cone. Pics forthcoming tomorrow...

DSCN2459.jpg

Nose panels closed up!!

DSCN2461.jpg

Tail rudder and underwing fiddly bits glued on. Decanted Rustoleum Semi Gloss black and painted the Lightning. Tomorrow, I will shoot a light coat of Rustoleum Satin Canyon Black before decaling. Pics forthcoming...

Last night's progress...

I painted the panels around the superchargers Tamiya Metallic Grey and weathered using overthinned Tamiya transparent blue; followed up with Tamiya flat red mixed in for a darker tone, Superchargers Tamiya Dark Iron and top coat with Mission Model Metallic Burnt Iron,

DSCN2473.jpg

Struts and wheels installed. I have a feeling this is gonna be a tail sitter. Good thing I saved some scraap clear sprues to make a stand to hold tail up. Instruction guide did not make mention to add weight in nose. :bored:

DSCN2474.jpg

DSCN2475.jpg

Decal session had commenced.... but not without some of the stencils literally disintegrated on me as soon as I tried to slide them off to the kit. I was wondering if they were going to tear and break apart on me since this kit was dated 1976, The following decals is what toes apart on me....

Decals #4 and #5

DSCN2477.jpg

Decals #6 - all four of them!! :bored:

DSCN2478.jpg

Surprisingly, none tore up on me for the propellers!

DSCN2488.jpg

The red stencils for the tail and nose managed to go on almost with zero issues. The stars & bars went on beautifully. Had a bit of a struggle trying to lay them down on the fuselage. Seem a tiny bit too large but those were the correct ones according to the decal instruction guide.

DSCN2480.jpg

DSCN2483.jpg

DSCN2484.jpg

DSCN2481.jpg

Stars and bars on the wings!!

DSCN2486.jpg

DSCN2487.jpg

Gonna let them dry out before I shoot a coat of flat clear to seal it in.

If anyone has any spare #6 decals as shown in the instruction guide, send them my way. The #5 ones, I probably could salvage them by using the red bars from the national insignia set. The #4 decal... I may skip it since they go on the gear door.

I'm calling this one done! A bit of subtle weathering around the superchargers using Tamiya weathering set. Here she is in her glory. I know I'm missing some obvious decals but they literally fell apart as I tried to slide them of the backign paper. Oh well. I'll look for spares at some point. The kit was a joy to build considering her age (1976)

Attachments

• DSCN2492.JPG
    DSCN2492.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN2493.JPG
    DSCN2493.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN2496.JPG
    DSCN2496.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 10
Built this same kit, 20 some years ago, but did the fighter version. Used Microscale decals though. Great kit. Drove truck for 15 years and for awhile, used to run from Reno to Riverside, Calif. Took company truck to Planes of Fame and boy, has that place changed. Was stationed at March AFB 74-75 and went to see their planes. Got lucky in their P-38 was being worked on, with one of the turbochargers sitting on a cart while a mechanic worked on the plane. No problem getting the photos I wanted and there's another P-38 on display at the March AFB museum in case anyone's interested.

Latest posts

Back