Returning to Hobby Tool Questions?

Hi this is my first post here and I really didn’t see a better place to put it. I haven’t built a plastic model for decades. Most of the plastic modeling I did was back in the 60’s 70’s when I was a kid. Just slapping together kits without painting then putting on the decals.

I’ve decided to collect and build 1.72 scale aircraft from the interwar period through Korea. I’ve ordered several models Airfix, Smer, ICM, Arma Hobby and vintage Revel.

I’d like to up my game a bit and have been watching various build videos on Youtube. I’m Left with a number of questions. I’m in the U.S.A. so terminology from that market would be helpful. A lot of this stuff I am not catching because I am somewhat hard of hearing.

1] It is not clear to me what cements or adhesives these guys are using to bond the plastic. I’m used to using Zap A Gap to put together metal wargame miniatures. Usually putting a blob on a piece of wood then using Tooth picks or bits of metal to pick up drops. I’ve ordered some Testors cement like I used when I was a kid. Any other recommendations?

2] I see almost all of the guys in the build videos using tools that look like sort of a bulb with a metal needle on it to apply adhesive. What is this tool? Where does it come from/ What sort of adhesive does it use and how do you keep it clean?

3] I ordered a tube of Testors modeling putty to fill gaps. Is that best? I’m used to using Kneadatite for metal figurines but that cooks and melts plastic. It has a long soft life so can be smoothed very nicely with the finger or tools so it does not require sanding. Anything like that for plastic?

4] There is a gummy material that a lot of the builders use to hold small parts for painting or mask cockpits while painting the rest of the plane. What is it and where does it come from?

5] There is some type of fluid other than water being used to set decals. What is it, where does it come from.

6] What sort of masking tape is being used? I’m guessing it is not the same stuff we use for house painting?

Thanks for your Time

Lance

1 . Solvent cement for polystyrene .
Tamiya is great , you can hold the parts together and brush the joint with the cement and it will flow into the joint via capillary action .

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catag...k-setting/TAM00087182/product.php?s=4&t=2&u=0

2. I'm assuming you are describing the applicator for CA ( super glue ) or other low viscosity glues.
It holds a small amount of the adhesive via surface tension .

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catag...icator-v2/CVD00000101/product.php?s=4&t=0&u=8

3. Everyone has their preferred putty ,
I like the Tamiya plastic putty : https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catag...tty-white/TAM00087095/product.php?s=4&t=2&u=1

4. Blue Tack , but there are other similar products : https://www.amazon.com/s?k=blue+tack&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

5 Micro Sol and Micro set ,, Tamiya and AK make a similar product : https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catag...solution/MIC00000001/product.php?kw=micro,sol

6 Nothing wrong with the blue tape or other quality masking tape .
Tamiya tape , available in many widths ( art supply stores will also have a wide selection ) : https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catag...pe-refill-6mm/TAM00087033/product.php?kw=tape

Hobby Lobby has everything above with maybe the exception of the loop applicator but they may very well carry it .

Last edited:
The Mig 15 link doesn't work ,
I'm not familiar with Arma or AZ .
Love the Beaufighter !

Yeah , I like that guy's channel .
I haven't seen that episode -- will check it out .

The Bristol Hercules is one of my most favorite engines .

That MiG kit says it requires 8 or more people to assemble .

So I've been watching more build videos and learning a lot of different things. One of them is it's probably going to take a number tries before I'm really happy with the results. I don't expect to build and paint like a pro probably ever. There is a lot of fiddly stuff I'm just not going to do. If this is going to be fun. But it will probably pay me to Pick up some cheaper (and more common) models next month to start on. If I'm going to dick something up I want to dick it up on a 7.00 Spitfire instead of 16.00 Boeing Peashooter or a 30.00 + Beaufighter.

I also want to see how the Painting techniques I'm used to using with miniatures look on planes. I tried an air brush when I was a kid and it was a disaster. Also my eyes and sinuses don't react well to oil based paint and thinner fumes. Probably doesn't help that I'm a chain smoker. I can imagine the possible consequences of putting highly volatile liquids into a mist near an ignition source.

I am amazed at the amount of effort a lot of these guys are putting into cockpit details even in 1/72. I thought one of the main reasons you did 1/72 was to get out of shit like that :^)

Any way I' having a lot of fun watching the videos, looking for stuff on the internet, making a list for the hobby shop and Dollar Tree.

The bulk of solvent cements are .

I rarely use acetone at the bench , I'm talking about out in the shop .

......... one of these days

tumblr_otwzm1Sbb81runoqyo6_540.gif

...it's probably going to take a number tries before I'm really happy with the results. I don't expect to build and paint like a pro probably ever...
A tourist visiting New York City stopped one of the native New Yorkers on the street and asked him, "Excuse me, sir, but how do I get to Carnegie Hall."
"Practice, practice, practice," the New Yorker replied.

Many helpful answers already but another idea for you. For accurate placement of CA glue, make some lengths of heat stretched sprue, different thicknesses etc. Use the thick part too hold and with a wee pool of CA, collect required amount on the thin stretched wand and accurately apply to your part to be joined. As you have bought the kit, the left over sprues are waste, so you are being sensible in making use of the waste and all it takes is a lighter/candle to stretch and make as many applicators as you desire. Just don't burn yourself on the hot styrene.

Latest posts

Back