Remembering Doolittle

redraider56

On April 18th 1942 80 brave men risked their lives to strike back against the Japanese after the attacks on Pearl Harbor. Jimmy Doolittle led 16 B-25s off the deck of the USS Hornet in what would be America's first bombing strike against the Japanese. This mission did little damage to Japan but it let them know that the Americans could strike them at anytime and anywhere and that Pearl Harbor was an ill-fated move.

Today, on the 69th anniversary of the raid, we honor the 5 men still among us and remember the 75 raiders that have since passed. Here's to you Doolittle Raiders, thanks for your service.

03_doolittles_raiders.jpg

I built a model of one of the Doolittle Tokyo Raiders B-25s a few years ago, using the really great Accurate Miniatures kit. The aircraft I built was #11 off the deck of the Hornet that day, "Hari Carrier"

DSC01859.jpg

I had the honor of meeting one of these men years ago when I was still in high school..... though honestly I do not remember which one he was.

I think that it took a lot of guts (I think that it is the correct expression) and Duty Self-Commitment from the individuals to volunteer to that kind of mission. The moment wasn´t exactly Disney for US Armed Forces !

I´ve readen Osprey´s "The Doolittle raid 1942 - America´s first strike back at Japan"... the ONLY way in Spain that you can get your hands over specific WWII literature is through Amazon, and only in english (well, thats zero-problem for me, I really don´t care).

Any other recommended book about the subject?

Rising Sun: The Rise and Fall of the Japanese Empire 1936-1945. It's a great 2 volume set, it might even be in volume now. It's a great read on the far lesser known Pacific Theater from both sides.

If you're looking for a good Doolittle book then I would recommend The Doolittle Raid by Carroll Glines. It starts off with a forward by General Curtis LeMay (ret) and talks about pretty much anything you would want to know about the raid. He goes through in detail the conception of the raid, each individual crew's mission and what they did after dropping their bombs, the execution of the 3 airman, and much much more.

Good afternoon / night, guys,
:)
@ GalaxyChief; if you can recommend to me any good title, either specific about this thread (Doolittle) or generic ones, I´ll be very glad to you, mate. I like to read a lot about WWII military history, and we in Spain have a huge deficit. Thanks a lot in advance, man… :D

@ Gundamhead: That´s OK, mate, I´ve inserted right now that title in the “target pool”; thanks man… :D

@ redraider56: The same goes for you, mate, your title goes straight to the target pool. :D

Thanks a lot, guys, ;)
Cheers,
R.

Latest posts

Back