Recycling for display

Ember

You can only eat an elephant a mouthful at a time
Most of the what I do currently is scenic diorama at 1/32 for slot cars. The on-going project is, of course, the track which has been a work in progress for 3 years now and will probably continue to be in progress for ever more or until it gets replaced by something bigger.

But here are some little display dioramas that you might like. All have been built in the crystal cases that slot cars are sold in. And all have been done on a minimal budget.

It was a trophy for a slot rally series that started it all. I thought a home for the winning car might be appropriate. I know if I managed to win such an event I'd be retiring my car to a prime position on the shelf.
12_trophy.jpg
Rocks are upholstery foam from an old lounge chair (free). The gravel is sandstone picked up from the roadside (free). Long grasses are dyed sisal string (enough to last a lifetime AUD 2 a roll ie. near enough to free). The most expensive thing other than the plaque are the Kamizukuri daisies, but I still have enough of them left for a few more projects.

Next in line came this:
07_finished_base.jpg
I lashed out and bought some static grass to try.

Just to prove that a car still fits on the base.
08_finished.jpg

Up until this point everything that I'd done, including the track had been in strong desert reds. Time to try something different.
02_rally_box.jpg
Rock walls are "carved" (scraped) from floristry "Oasis" foam and the dirt is sourced from the garden.

Another rally trophy.
01_mud.jpg
02_mud.jpg

By this time I'd received some enquiries from a couple of people about commissioning race track dioramas to use as trophies. To me, that would require fitting more in the box to give a spirit of place to the diorama. I've not got there yet, but I'm working my way toward it.

The next ones would possibly suit pre-war racers or perhaps some of the classic Targa races like Florio or the Mille Miglia.

04_front_bare.jpg

01_rear_lidded.jpg
As you can see, I splurged and bought some Kamizukuri roses to try. The wrought iron in the fence is balsa and toothpicks.

7361.jpg
The gate in the garden wall is from Verlinden (2 pair for USD5 fits in my budget).

7379.jpg
The car is a bash from a static kit, but not my doing.

7403.jpg

Photobucket is playing up again. I guess it's trying to tell me something. Sorry about the picture excess.

Thanks for looking.
Embs

Nice work on these!!! Great job in recycling the parts as well!!! Like a bonus!! :eek: Thanks for sharing!!!

Thanks for the kind words. I have some WIP photos from one of the very early boxes, but none from later ones. Inclined to get a little meditative when working and forget to take progress photos. I'm sure others know what I mean. I'll try to capture progress on the next one.

But I managed to get another one finished on the weekend. Really happy with this one, so please forgive the ridiculous amount of photos.

Please allow me to present the world's shortest rally special stage. You'll have to add your own sound effects.

fern_wall.jpg
past_the_wall.jpg
front_quarter_hummock.jpg
hummock_close.jpg
front_hummock-1.jpg
drive_by.jpg
rear_wheel_close.jpg
rear_quarter2.jpg
clenchingly_close2.jpg
puddles.jpg

And here it is.
base.jpg

Thanks for your indulgence.

May be short but it's sweet. :)

I need to learn how to do this sort of works.

Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Back