Really? Yet another Bandai X-Wing.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85xMiaxD3n4[/youtube]

20161001_114214_zpsw30je8nf.jpg

Well its been a while since my last model, so im starting my next kit, this time the Star Wars 1/72 X-wing from Bandai.

My wife bought me this along with the AT-ST last christmas for £16 each.

I started with the rear wing assemblies, very easy to snap together, once both assembled I primered them.
I then started on the cockpit area, again very easy to snap together, I painted the cockpit in Revell greyish blue, the seat in black.

I then decided to primer the hull parts & once dried I sprayed the white primer hoping to get the shade of whiteish grey I did with my Battlestar Galactica.

Unfortunately I went a couple of shades whiter than I wanted, but hopefully once weathered, im hoping they will come back down.

Then came the very intricate painting of the Luke Skywalker pilot & R2-D2 figures.

Painting the flight suit in orange, boots & gloves in black, vest in white, the chest contraption in blueish grey picking out the panels in various colours.

I painted the helmet in white & put the 2 tiny rebel logos on either side along with the red stripe with the warning stripes on the middle of the helmet.

Finishing off with orange for the goggles & flesh for the face.

R2 was only painted with some silver for his dome, I left the rest of him in the sprue white, placed the tiny decals on him & washed him with black wash & earthshade washes.

I then put the pilot inside the cockpit & put the dashboard in & put in all the cockpit instrument decals & washed the top of the dashboard to bring out the detail.

Then I assembled the wings into place sandwiched in between the top & bottom halves of the hull along with the cockpit assembly.

Finishing off with the various panelling pieces & nose, the X-Wing is all ready for decals & detailing.

Cheers,

Wayne.

Re: Bandai 1/72 X-Wing Fighter

I've built most of ANH red squadron with this kit (working on red leader now) and I base coated mine pure white. When you do your panel wash, do a sludge wash over the whole model with a dark brown, that will stain the white with the warmth your looking for. Do not gloss coat before doing this as you would with most aircraft models. It protects the white and you will not get the stain effect.

I should note that I paint with enamel and wash with acrylics. I don't know how the other way around will work to stain down the white.

Great start, can't wait to see more!

Re: Bandai 1/72 X-Wing Fighter

Ozzman78 said:
When you do your panel wash, do a sludge wash over the whole model with a dark brown, that will stain the white with the warmth your looking for. Do not gloss coat before doing this as you would with most aircraft models. It protects the white and you will not get the stain effect.

My Citadel Agrax Earthshade is a dark brownyish wash & I used that along with the black wash to dirty up R2.

I also have some rust wash which might help too.

Cheers for that.

Wayne

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz9AVeYxkrQ[/youtube]

20161010_125122_zpse3sha7sg.jpg

20161010_125237_zpsglvoibsf.jpg

20161010_125204_zpsxd8yk5pr.jpg

20161010_125108_zpsktrq1foe.jpg

20161010_125048_zpsofu5vpvi.jpg

Its finale time on the X-Wing.

Started applying all the decals one-by-one on the top of the x-wing, once all done I Microsoled them & left them to dry.

I then sealed them in Revell Matt Clear & once dried I started work on the weathering.

I picked up a tip from another video on youtube about chipping with paint instead of the hairspray technique, whilst I couldnt really get the white to work on the red decals, the black, grey & silver paint I applied with a bit of sponge worked a treat.

Undeterred, I tried scraping a little away here & there with one of my scribes & brushing away with a stipple brush & the patterns that formed were quite nice.

I then started with the black & earthshade washes & whilst I went overboard a little, the wash has turned out really well.

I made the mistake of putting some Humbrol Rust Wash on the nose area & it ruined it a little but I used some IPA to clean that off.

I did the same inside the X part of the wings, but not as harsh with the washes & the same on the underneath & they both have turned out really well.

Quaralane (Patrick) on youtube & SMA told me not to install the rear plate or rear piece, as R2 will not go in once installed, so I put R2 in first & then the plate & the rear panel afterwards.

Talking out the rear plate, I didnt want to leave that blank in black, so I picked out some of the detail with silver, gun metal, grey, & brown to tart that up a bit.

I then washed the guns on the sprues & sanded down the excess left & put the blue stripes & they curled around by themselves.

I decided to use the non-windowed canopy & painted that in greyish blue & dabbed a little whit paint on & washed it.

The stand I didnt do anything with, as I plan to hang this from my ceiling.

Im really chuffed on how this has turned out, better than I expected.

Cheers,

Wayne.

Definitely turned out well.
A little overdone for my tastes, but maybe this is Red Five after Dagobah

Always good to see another x-wing!

I'm with Q, looks good for post swamp Red 5. Little heavy for the trench run version.

Latest posts

Back