Real Nazi super science?

Gundamhead

I picked up a 2 disc DVD set a few months ago at a tag sale titled "Restricted Films of WWII". I just got around to watching it and it's full of the short films they would show at the begining of movies or in certain documentary film types. They're all very real and in grainy B/W. I always watch things like this in hope to spot some neat relatively unkown plane or scheme, ground equipment, or interesting detail.

I hit pay dirt. About halfway through the first disc, it's been interesting, but not 'cool'. Dramatic music cues and the neew chapter title is "German Installations" As I'm half watching as I wait for glue to dry, I hear the narrator...

"An incomplete German Block House near Vatan, France. (About 240Km south of Paris) According to civilians, the nazis hoped to house electrical apparatus to send out beams that would stop aircraft in flight. The structure is 300' long, 200' wide, and some four stories high. Steel doors meant to operate on rollers are 8' thick and 24'-25' high. Allied aircraft pounded the block hous and it's environs with 1000lb bombs."

The film shows a massive block house on/in a hill. The allie troops climbing on it are tiny. Huge place. It's bombed out on one section and giant slabs of concrete with twisted rebarb wire sticking out all over. Then they show the door they mentioned. Wow. Thing is, there's no equipment in any of the shots. Just soldiers climbing on the giant wreck and pointing the giant door out.

That was the jist of the entire block hous blurb, then it was on to a German airfield disguised as a small village.

Now I find this interesting because of the super science bend. The narrator stated it as fact, and the vibe was that it was totally possible and believable the Nazis were going to 'house electrical apparatus' to 'beam' down enemy planes. It's just kinda cool is all. So, does anybody know about this block house? My reality check tells me it may have been set to become a V-1 or V-2 installation, but I could not find any information about it on the net. I also couldn't make out what it would be for. There didn't seem to be any gun ports, or launch rails or platforms. So, Nazi super science hushed by the Allies and buried in Area 51, or just some giant mundane Nazi terror complex? I feel I should be posting this in a loud overly dramatic voice... B)

This is very interesting. Sounds like something out of a Wolfenstein video game. I may have to grab a copy of that DVD. The Nazis were up to some nasty hijinx for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if the US Military used some of this stuff for 'spreading democracy'. Look up X37B for an example of some current stealth technology...its basically a secret military shuttle drone that everyone knows about, and some amateur stargazers say it basically disappeared for two weeks. Back to the Nazis, have you heard of "Die Glocke"?

From Wikipedia:

"The device is described as metallic, approximately 9 feet wide and 12 to 15 feet high with a shape similar to a bell. It allegedly contained two counter-rotating cylinders filled with a substance similar to mercury that glowed violet when activated, known only as Xerum 525. It has been speculated to be red mercury. When active, the bell would emit strong radiation, which was said to lead to the death of several unnamed scientists and various plant and animal test subjects."

Link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Glocke

Yeah I thought the super science was pretty neat. I'm sure it was gonna be a V-1/V-2 plant or some such, I was just hoping somebody might know for sure. It was cool looking block house even wrecked. Very Warhammer 40K Cadian-ish. ;D

Here you go. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directed-energy_weapon

Near the bottom.

German World War II experimental weapons
In the later phases of World War II, Nazi Germany increasingly put its hopes on research into technologically revolutionary secret weapons, the Wunderwaffen.
Among the directed-energy weapons the Nazis investigated were X-Ray Beam Weapons developed under Heinz Schmellenmeier, Richard Gans and Fritz Houtermans. They built an electron accelerator called Rheotron (invented by Max Steenbeck at Siemens-Schuckert in the 1930s, these were later called Betatrons by the Americans) to generate hard X ray synchrotron beams for the Reichsluftfahrtministerium (RLM). The intent was to pre-ionize ignition in Aircraft engines and hence serve as anti-aircraft DEW and bring planes down into the reach of the FLAK. The Rheotron was captured by the Americans in Burggrub on April 14, 1945.

The Germans also worked on sonic weapons. I cannot remember if they were successful or not. Doubt they were.

Latest posts

Back