Quickmasks

pingvuiini

Maybe this should be in the painting forums??

Anyways, I am building a Tamiya Pz.Kpfw IV Ausf. D OOB and I bought a Quickmask for a Dragon Brummbar. I figured that since the chassis and wheels were very similar that the mask would work despite the different model brands. This turned out to be true for the road wheels, but the return rollers were too big for the mask so I will have to do those by hand.

After finishing the task I must say that I felt it took much less time and was much easier than hand painting. The results look excellent although I have to do a little touch up to the black areas. The masks seem a little pricey, but if I can get more than one use out of each mask then they are worth it IMO. Fun stuff!

PzKpfwIVDFAsmbly01WEB.jpg

PzKpfwIVDFAsmbly02WEB.jpg

PzKpfwIVDFAsmbly03WEB.jpg

PzKpfwIVDFAsmbly04WEB.jpg

PzKpfwIVDFAsmbly2Frt01WEB.jpg

Very clean and much better than the circle template I use. Is the black layer a foam and the blue layer a vinyl? It looks stretched? I have considered a set for the PzIII wheel.

Nice build.

I find these are a good idea, only if you build a crap load of PzIV based vehicles, but buying a set for every tank you build seems to be a waste of money if you are only going to use it once or twice for that type of vehicle.

Circle template is at least cheap, and good for all sizes. Just my 2 cents.

i have 2 sets of these and love them. but i do use my circle template alot more as it has all sizes as scott said.

Thanks for your comments!

MaschinenKrueger said:
Is the black layer a foam and the blue layer a vinyl? It looks stretched?

Yes, a black foam layer and the thin blue layer has an adhesive and stretches to make a tight seal to keep the airbrushed paint out.

Elm City Hobbies said:
I find these are a good idea, only if you build a crap load of PzIV based vehicles, but buying a set for every tank you build seems to be a waste of money if you are only going to use it once or twice for that type of vehicle.

Circle template is at least cheap, and good for all sizes. Just my 2 cents.

Yes. I just happen to have a ton of Pz IV variants sitting around and I am hoping that the quickmask will fit good enough on most of them to work. As I described in the original post, the return rollers from the Tamiya kit were a no go with the Brummbar quickmask, so I'll take it on a case by case basis. The thin blue layer may also eventually get stretched out and not seal out the airbrushed paint. Of course it was probably designed that way so you have to buy more.

I do agree that it would probably be an extravagance to use a quickmask for just one type of model, with the possible exception of the Tiger Is and Panthers with the interleaved wheels. But as mentioned, I have a bunch of Pz IV kits that I want to get out of here so the quickmasks are great.

Some updated pics of the Pz IV Ausf D with finished paint. Weathering next. Yay!!!

PzKpfwIVDFnlPntFrt01WEB.jpg

PzKpfwIVDFnlPntRear02WEB.jpg

PzKpfwIVDFnlPntFrt03WEB.jpg

PzKpfwIVDFnlPntSide01WEB.jpg

PzKpfwIVDFnlPntRear03WEB.jpg

PZKpfwIVdFnlPntTopFrt02WEB.jpg

PZKpfwIVdFnlPntTopRear01WEB.jpg

PzKpfwIVdFnlPntTopFrtBck03WEB.jpg

PzKpfwIVdFnlPntTopSide02WEB.jpg

Latest posts

Back