Quick tip: Different types of glue

Nice source for info, Grendels.

But, as far as resin goes, epoxy is also an option

I didn't list it because I really don't like working with epoxy.... Messy and smelly. Plus I feel like I have little or no control over it. It does have its uses, but I try to avoid it for model building.

Very useful for me. I learned what regular Tamiya cement is for. I've had a bottle for a year but always reach for the extra thin. Even us old guys can learn something eh? ;D

One other thing, the Tamiya cement holds stronger than the extra thin does. It is my glue of last resort when putting together parts that just don't want to go together.

Great stuff John - posted this in the resource section, homepage and linked on Facebook.

This is very informative video! What is a good CA glue for phot-etch and resin that applies easily from its container? I tried the bottle cap and sewing pin method with CA and I can not get this method to work well for me. I read in the SMA forum that loctite brand is good CA. These come in different packages from tubes to plastic bottles. I am not sure which to buy. What do you all suggest and how do you apply to the pieces you are gluing together. I am trying to avoid that sticky stream when I apply to the surface of the part and pull the applicator away. This might be because the CA glue is thick and maybe I need a medium or thinner version??? Help!

Yeah, you want thin CA for PE pieces....or....give Gator Glue a try, takes a little longer to set up, but gives you a chance to position the part, and creates a stronger bond.

Resin....doesn't really matter, but a Med. to Thick CA will likely work better.

Loctite is a good brand, and is what I used to carry in shop....but it just got to be quite expensive, and I have since replaced them with the Pacer Brand CA.

Cool Video Grendals !! ;)

I have recently left a Finger Print with th Tamiya Thin. It's also happened more times than I care to count :mad:. I also should get a bottle of Ambroid & keep it in th Arsenal. You're th second person I've Herd talk about th "regular" Tamiya glue ... I think I'll add that to th stash too !

I think th correct pronunciation of C.A. - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cyanoacrylate - look for th speaker, click it & they pronounce it. For th longest time I couldn't find any one that could really pronounce it either ! ;D . I guess it's like Tamiya how is that correctly pronounced or Italeri for that matter ?

ELM CITY - I like th Gator Glue. I've just herd some bad things about it , especially from some of th Canadian Boyz. They mentioned that it might've frozen before They got it ?? They also mentioned that when that happens it ain't worth Diddly Squat, So that's why I've been a bit hesitant to order some. One Guy on here - Tony Lee swears by it. I love th concept - That it's stronger than C.A. & gives you some time to fiddle with it so you can make sure it's in th right place !

Yes, if Gator Glue freezes, it is pretty much useless, however when it is shipped to me in winter months, Kenny packs it in insulation (looks like fiberglass household insulation without the itchy factor), and when I sell it and mail it out, I just reuse the insulation for it, and haven't had any troubles as of yet.

I still use CA for some things, if you need it stuck right now, but for most PE things, Gator Glue is the choice.

Grendels said:
I didn't list it because I really don't like working with epoxy.... Messy and smelly. Plus I feel like I have little or no control over it. It does have its uses, but I try to avoid it for model building.

Smelly is good. After a while, the epoxy becomes a magic unicorn. Er... not that I would know mind you... :-X

DreamKnight said:
Grendels said:

Smelly is good. After a while, the epoxy becomes a magic unicorn. Er... not that I would know mind you... :-X

Someone please take away Dreamknights glue supply.....

Or maybe get him more! :p

I generally end up using a Fair amount of P.E. on certain Kits. I'm gonna look into gettin some (Gator Glue) & checking it out !!

Epoxy has it's advantages . But ... Does any one make an Accelerator for Epoxy ? I use th 5 minute stuff on P.E. if I need some Strength. But sometimes it just takes too long to cure , which I guess We come full circle &I'll be trying that Gator Glue ! I've talked with Tony Lee about it in depth & He loves it. He mentioned that it's stronger than C.A. ..... Yeah ... I'll give it a whirl !!

I'll go back to th Panzer Shoppe now & Open that New Tube of 5 minute Epoxy Glue & Watch Airplane ;D ....

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking...

Airplane! - That's impossible they're on instruments!

For the sake of saying something useful, Gator Glue is great. I think I got mine from Scott and I've been nursing one bottle for a while now.

Let me ask you glue sniffers something. Do you find any difference between Tamiya liquid cement (not the Thin Tamiya) and Testore's liquid cement? Do they work roughly the same because in my mind they probably do....though I've never used Tamiya (regular I'll call it...I've used the Thin stuff).

And Tanex...I've read articles here (not SMA) and there and all I can get out of it is that it's very aggressive at melting the plastic. Sounds almost like PVC glue to me.
I should just watch the video at the beginning of this thread shouldn't I?
Thoughts please. ::)

I haven't used testors cement in 20 years. So I am not sure what that stuff is like these days. I use the regular Tamiya cement the same way I use to use the testors tube glue. The glue that came in the tooth paste tubes.

I use Tamiya regular when I want parts to hold. It just seems to do a better job at holding things together than the other glues do. I think it has something to do with the curing time. Tamiya regular takes longer to cure than the extra thin does.

I've used Tenax7R, Plastruct and ProWeld liquid glues and they are all basically the same for me.

But I stopped buying those Methyl Ethyl Ketone (M.E.K.) based glues at the hobby store about two years ago, because there really isn't a need for me to pay $3.00 for two ounces when I can get a whole quart of M.E.K. for just under $10.00 at Home Depot/Loews etc. and simply refill the bottles I have.

Maybe I'm cheap, but I like to think of it as smart. ;D

100_3688.jpg

Latest posts

Back