Question on AK streaking effects for OIF & OEF

adampolo13

Hey all, I hope everyone is having a nice weekend! I have a question regarding AK's streaking effects. I have finished major build of my M-ATV and I have laid down the base coat from AK's OIF & OEF set. I then put a coat of Future down. My questions is two fold, one should I put decals down and another coat of future before filters, washes and steaks or should I streak filter etc then do decals. My second question is what is the technique for using AK's streaking effects as I have never used them before.

Thanks everyone!

Hey there Adam,

Decals first, and then clear coat to seal them.....markings would be put on at the factory, so any streaking and dust would come after, and thus be on top of the markings.

Doing the same with the M51 I am building....and likely using the same streaking, will have to compare notes! LOL

Thank you for the help Scott. After my original post I decided (got impatient) to go ahead and give the weather products a try. ::) The good thing is there are very very few decals so I think I'm going to get away with it.

I too have had concerns with the order of things. But yeah, decals first. I know I started to weather something prior to decals...forget which one.

Anyways...

If you have Satin varnish, add a coat of that prior to AK Streaks. It has a bit more bite than Future. Future will do the tricky, but it's pretty slippery.

For the streaks, paint a thin vertical line, then let it dry for about 10 minutes. After that take a flat brush and only moisten it, ever so slightly, with thinner. With a really light touch 'streak' the line and feather it out. It does take practice and at first you may find that a combination of too much thinner and too heavy a hand simply removes it. Keep at it and you'll get it.

Also - I have found that using a moistened QTip works good. I am able to have more control streaking the effects with it. Again very little thinner is required...

ill say it here also just in case you missed my pely over on robs forum, but the best way to learn is to see, by that i mean getting hold of washes, filters and oils by AK higly recomended and you will get to see it in action and see how it is done by Mig

True dat. Getting that DVD is money well spent. I've watched it several times.

They just released an NTSC version as well. It will be available on AK USA later this week.

I had no idea they released a DVD, that is really great info to have. I will get one by golly! Scott, thanks for the tip on the Q-Tip. I tried that out and it worked really well for me too.

Thanks again guys!

Latest posts

Back