Possible Reaction to Resin

ShutterAce

Can you be allergic to resin?

I ask because I was out in the shop working on the resin cockpit for the F-4 and started feeling like I was having a reaction to it. I have never worked with resin before but did have a lot of exposure to epoxy when I was building sea kayaks. Are they possibly related?

I hate feeling like that. Not fun. :'(

It's possible, certainly.
What else were you doing. Was it dust? Was it liquid?

I'm thinking it was the dust originally but maybe not. I was wet sanding one of the pieces but there was still some dust being created. The reaction started in the respiratory system so whatever it was I assume it was airborne. I was wearing a dust mask at the time. I get pretty much the same reaction if i don't wear a respirator when gluing with epoxy.

Some types of resin are strongly hazardous so it is possible that you have some kind of reaction to it. Next time put a reperator mask for protection.
Cheers

Wet sand means no dust. Water won't hurt resin, so drench that sucker, and wear your mask and gloves all the time if you have a reaction while working with resin.

I would suspect you have develop an Hyper Sensitiveness to a compound within the Resin ! the binder or some other component !

your past history could have made you more suited to get or feel (bad) in the presence of those compounds!

Heck ! that would be a Bummer for you !

Protect yourself and keep your work area Clean and well ventilated ! and Mask On for sure !

Next time I work on it I'll wear my respirator and some gloves. I haven't touched it since but i need to get moving on it. :eek:

A small inexpensive extractor fan is also a good idea in the workshop ,helps get rid of airborne particles and fumes ;) My extractor is on everytime I use the bench !

Chris.

Chris S said:
A small inexpensive extractor fan is also a good idea in the workshop ,helps get rid of airborne particles and fumes ;) My extractor is on everytime I use the bench !

Chris.

hi Chris,

Not sure what you mean about your fan. How does it vent? Do you have a pic by chance?

Thanks!

Hi ya fella,

I simply use a small extractor which you may find in kitchens ,bathrooms etc ... I dont have a large workshop so this is quite adequate. Its mounted in a hole through the wall vented to the outside ,when running it sucks out rather then blowing :eek: and in doing so helps remove small particles and fumes . They can be found in most DIY stores or plumbing suppliers Mine only cost about £25 uk ,cheap but very worthwhile .

Chris.

As long as you are not painting lacquers or anything with a "hot" carrier, a bathroom fan would work for this. They are pretty cheap and can be found at any home improvement store. They use a standard dryer duct to transfer the air, and most have a plug on them for standard wiring.

I'm an equal opportunity employer as far as types of paint go but I do lean toward enamels and laquers. Especially for spraying. Guess I'll have to make sure and win one of those spray booths. ;)

It is really not that hard to make one, the only real difficulty I had was mounting the motor....

Latest posts

Back