Pigment question

Tobes2us

Doing some research into learning about the use of dry pigments. The concept is new to me since I've come back into building models but the use looks like something I definitely want to incoporate into my coloring phase. Just curious on thoughts about the MIG products "fantasy" line of pigments for those who may have used it before. Is the product good for the sci-fi type builds such as Trek modeling? I'll not go asking a bunch of questions about how to use pigments, however just curious about preferences to pigment brands and these two combo kits in particular.

http://migproductions-usa.com/pigments/fantasy-pigments/pigment-sets.html

The description of the set doesn't really go into detail about what colors you actually get. My knowledge of the pigment products is limited so far, however I'm doing research to understand this better so I can discuss it a little easier too. Thanks in advance for any input guys. Sorry for the newbish question. Still trying to learn so much about the painting/weathering aspect from all the info in the forums.

Tobes

There's been a couple good thread about pigments.

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/forum/index.php/topic,3417.0.html

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/index.php/topic,4465.0.html

I cant comment on the combo kits you mention, but as to brands, the two popular ones here are Mig and Vallejo, the consensus I believe is that the Mig pigments are an excellent "self adhering" option, the Vallejo more of a pure pigment which requires binder. Neither is "better" than the other, rather it depends on personal preference.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I've been combing the forums trying to find threads on all this and that helps a lot! Many thanks.

Tobes

The 3 main players in the game of Pigments is Mig, Vallejo and AK Interactive.

Mig has more color choices, and fancy names, Vallejo has less color choices and brandish actual artist names (and despite less over all colors, they can all be mixed together to create your own custom colors), AK is relatively new to pigments, therefore doesn't have as many colors, but that is I am sure only because they are new to the pigment game.

All are going to offer what you are looking for. Vallejo are the most inexpensive of the 3, and each have their own unique properties. All are natural pigments mixed with binders, and that is really where the difference in them lie....what type, and how much binder they use, as well as how finely the pigment is ground.

I have personally used Mig and Vallejo myself....both react about the same, but with Vallejo being less expensive (you not only get more product, but for less), I tend to lean their way (being a Vallejo dealer helps as well! LOL)

Heh heh I have to agree w/you too about the pricing and availability. Being that I'm already a fan of your store I'm most likely just going to order the Vallejo from you in the coming days. I think I even put them in my cart. Just have to manage all my expenses first and then hobby stuff. Your selection is more admirable as well with description and display. I'm excited to try out my new Vallejo paints too. I've been doing lots of research on application and the paint process for this rio grande I'm working on. I keep coming up with ideas, it's just a matter of how much money I want to dump into it as well. I appreciate your input and advice. Thank you!

Tobes, if you have your heart set on Vallejo pigments I'll gladly sell you all of mine for a bargain. They are hardly used and some of the bottles have never been used at all.

I'll give you all 12 bottles for like $25.00, that's about $2.00 a bottle. They are about as useful to me as pastel chalks.

Thanks Ken, I'll keep that in mind. I appreciate your offer. I'm trying to lay out my plan of attack for my paint scheme right now and being that I'm still a novice coming back into the hobby, I'm considering how much of a challenge to present myself with. That's a smokin deal though on the pigment. I'll PM you when I decide what I'm going to do.

No worries, just putting it out there.

I have a bunch of MIG pigments and the whole AK line as well and they outperform Vallejo for me in every way.

Personally, I don't find any difference between Mig and Vallejo, Vallejo behave like the Mig Pigments, and do all the same things as well or better, for less.

I can't comment on the AK ones....as I haven't used them before

Latest posts

Back