P-47D Torrid Tessie (1:33)

Absolutely incredible!! That is so amazing looking with the detail in the cockpit. Can't wait to see the rest of this!!

Thanks guys, it really means a lot to me when you all give encouragement. Thank you!

Disaster strikes :eek:

While I was forming the fuselage skins, an odd green tinge appeared lightly along the valley of the seams. Although it had no effect from afar, it disturbed me! I had what I though, a lot accomplished today, at least half of the fuselage was complete. But, I decided to scrap it and solve the problem. I believe what caused the discoloration was either the light exposure to a certain lamp, the joining strip that might have 'leaked' ink, the joining strip itself, or perhaps the glue itself.

Basically, it was as if the 10 hours of modeling I did today never existed. :'(

I also feel you pain. I have faced a similar set back today with King Gidrah..... No worries back on track with her. I am sure you will make a similar recovery!

Thanks for the support guys, it truly is an unfortunate turn of events.

I've re-printed the 3 pages of the fuselage and have, unlike the first copy, coated the pages. Hopefully that will deal with the problem.

Bummer. I know that feeling of doing ALLLL that work and having to do it again. Chin up though, the end result will be better for it. ;)

Say what kind of glue you using for that? PVA (white) glue?

Myke - Yup, it's a terrible feeling, and thanks for the encouragement, it really does mean a lot! :)

As for glue, lately I've been using PVA glue, more specifically Aleene's Tacky glue. It gives me more time to work, but it can make the ink run if it saturates the surface. It's a step up, and definite improvement, I believe, over well known PVA's such as Elmer's glue. I find Elmer's glue to be too runny and will discolor models quickly unless made to be thicker. I also keep several bottles of Loctite Super control Gel around, since I've been using that stuff ever since I began paper modeling 4 years ago. Truth be told, its a great glue, but is unforgiving when misalignment occurs. For the cockpit interior, I've only used the Super Control Gel. Normally on aircraft, I'll align and glue with Aleene's, and then when I'm sure of everything, I add super control gel around it.

I've gotten more work done than in the pictures shown below, but I forgot to upload these to this forum :D
Basically, after tomorrow I should have the entire fuselage complete; including the cowling and engine. Then, hopefully I'll only take 2 days on the wings and she'll be ready for photos! ;D

These are just the same pictures of the same portion of the fuselage. Let me just say, matching those pieces to tighten the joins and seams is one heck of a process. No way to fill those without damaging the original print; one mess-up will lead back to the printer and a fair amount of paper in the recycling.

Thanks Merseajohn!

I forgot to add in my last post, if anyone's interested in reading/looking up builds in this medium - I suggest checking out this man's blog -

http://michal-dostal-modely.blog.cz/

Really impressive modeling in there; My Torrid Tessie build comes no where near to that :eek: I recommend checking out his Focke Wulf, Mustang, Yamato, Brewster and Hayate. In fact, Mr. Dostal inspired me to purchase the Halinski Focke Wulf and Mustang; money well spent might I add. ::)

Well, I'll have to drop out due to my own dissatisfaction with my previous printer. (And my lack of building skills :p) I'll pick this one up during the winter - but for now, huge project, thread on that real soon!

Thanks again everyone who gave support - You guys are awesome!

Good luck to everyone else, and I know there are going to be some spectacular entries!

It took me a second glance to tell it was paper! Shame you have pulled out, but I know your pain dude... just make sure you finish at some point :) it would be nice to see the full thing

FRUIT!!!!!!! Say it aint so :'(

Was dying to see the full build on that. Still can't believe it's paper.

Latest posts

Back