Newbie and the AMT 1/1400 Clear Enterprise D

Tick-Tock

Hey everyone, glad to be a part of these forums. I follow a few model makers on Youtube -- Steve Neill (darkuboot), TrekWorks, and Model Man Tom -- and finally joined this forum after hearing about it from TrekWorks.

I haven't made a model since I was a teenager a little over a decade ago, and want to start with the AMT 1/1400 Enterprise D (the clear model). I'm hoping to light it and do Aztecing on it, haven't decided on the decals or paint. Is this way too hard a model to start with? If so, does anyone have any idea what model I should start out with?

Thanks for any thoughts anyone might have!

The model isn't too hard of a build, but clear plastic tends to be a bit more brittle than opaque. For a beginner, I would definitely use decals over painting the azteks though.

ZOMBIEREPELLENT said:
The model isn't too hard of a build, but clear plastic tends to be a bit more brittle than opaque. For a beginner, I would definitely use decals over painting the azteks though.

Thanks for replying! I'm ok with using the decals. As far as lighting it goes, does this seem like a particularly difficult task? I'd like to fully light it and have never used circuit boards or anything like that. It seems a little daunting, but then again in the digital age it also seems really basic.

Welcome to the forums http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/Smileys/classic/smiley.gif
Only recently got here myself. If you are just getting started doing lighting on your model work I would say to start off with something a bit simpler. I know I did and gradually worked up to stuff with all the bells and whistles.
Main reason cost. Its easy to end up with 3 or 4 hundred dollars in a model done all out like that.
If money is no issue then eliminate that one but take in to account what your expectation is.

It takes awhile to develop your skills and learn from mistakes. Would you rather find out something didn't quite come out how you planned on a model you spent 10 hours on or one that you spent weeks or months on?
Don't want to sound like a stick in the mud but I think frustration is the biggest cause of people giving up on the hobby. A great star trek kit to start with is the classic romulan bird of prey. It's readily available now, it's fairly cheap and its a great kit to learn lighting on. The window ports are laid out simply on the model and are all round which is good for a beginner and you can learn to light the hull, the engines and the plasma weapon at the front.
Also there is some filling the seams and sanding to do which good building fundamentals to learn.
Good luck with whatever you chose and with great forums available like this one you can always get some great advice or tips. Happy Modeling!

The enterprise D is a bit tricky to light, because you need to grind out material in the solid nacelle pylons to run wires to the nacelles. But other than that, it shouldn't be too hard. If you know how to do lights and whatnot anyways. It's something that seems to be becoming more obtainable to novices as well. Honestly I've never lit one myself, but have often wanted thought about it.

Thanks a lot for your advice guys!

TrekWorks, I watched your videos on the Romulan Warbird model, was actually considering starting with that one. I was afraid I wouldn't know where to drill the holes for the windows on the head of the ship, but you say that it comes with markers for them, so that makes me a lot more hopeful I could pull it off.

Really good point about spending tons of money and time on a model only for it to not come out well. The main model I want to build, and build well, is the Enterprise D, so I guess I shouldn't make that the model where I figure out the learning curve. I'm ok with spending a couple hundred dollars on a model, but I'd rather not have it look like crud.

So I guess I'll start with the Romulan Warbird! Thanks again for the replies, and get ready for lots of questions. :D

The Warbird is a next Gen ship. I meant the original AMT Romulan bird of prey ship from the classic TV show.
The warbird does not have any molded in window detail. You could use the kit supplied window decals as a guide but its a lot of really small hole to drill. The original BOP kit is known for being in acccurate to the studio model.
But it looks pretty close and I like the look of it better than the warbird model.

Oops. Already bought the Warbird today from Amazon. Hopefully I'll find a way to scribe/mark where I want the windows before drilling. And I'm mostly a fan of TNG Star Trek, not the original show, so I'll enjoy having this model. I don't mind drilling a lot of holes, that sounds a lot easier than a difficult paint job.

Speaking of which, would you mind sharing what colors you used on the ship after you gave it a flat black primer? And did you drill the windows before or after the base coat of black? Thanks for your help!

Just put the window decals on the bare plastic, drill all your windows, and then sand off the rest of the decals after you're done drilling. I've been thinking of picking up another one of those ships.

ZOMBIEREPELLENT said:
Just put the window decals on the bare plastic, drill all your windows, and then sand off the rest of the decals after you're done drilling. I've been thinking of picking up another one of those ships.
Thanks for the tip, I might try that.

Cool, the Warbird will be a very fun build for you. I used a 1/32" Dremel bit to do the window holes on mine.
Just don't let the bit clog up with plastic. If it does and you keep going, the window holes will keep getting bigger and bigger. I drilled out all the windows first and then painted it. 3M or Bondo brand red spot putty is the same product and works great for filling in the gaps. Enjoy the build man.

Thanks for the help Trekworks! Sorry to hear about the lower half of your clear Enterprise saucer. I hope you ordered it from Amazon, you should easily be able to get the seller to send you a new kit for free.

I bought a Walthers .033 drill bit today for use with a swivel headed pin vise for my windows. Would a 1/32" Dremel bit be a better/faster way to go? And is this the same putty you use: 3M/Bondo 4.5Oz Glazin Spot Putty 907? There's also an 801.

One last thing -- what kind of spray paint did you use for the primer of your ship?

Thanks for all your help!

Yes, that is the putty I use. I buy automotive primer in cans made by Transtar in either Grey, White or Black.
Comes in a 16 oz can and is a better value than the small hobby cans. I think it also sands and dries better.

Thanks for all your help TrekWorks! I'm sure I will have many more questions down the line, but I really appreciate you letting me know the ins and outs of this hobby.

Trekworks! I'm new to scale modeling and have been following you on YouTube; great videos!
I purchased the AMT BOP to get my feet wet and am following your build.
Thanks for helping the noobs!!!

I am just getting caught up here....

Most of the advice that has been posted is very good. The only thing I would like to add is that you should get an easy kit to start with.

When I got back into model building 3 years ago, I tried to light up a 1/1000 TOS enterprise. Failed. Then I shifted to an easier model, a Martian war machine, it too was a failure. I still have both of them sitting in their boxes waiting for me to get back to them. The Martian war machine will be up around Christmas time because I now have the skills to tackle that project.

I finally settled on the original viper from Battlestar Galaticia. Pretty easy to light, the seams are not bad, and there is plenty of room inside the model for wires and such. It was a good learning experience and I have progressed from there to making my own blinking circuits for navigation and position lights.

My advice is that if you get frustrated, just set it aside and get something easier. Remember also to have patience. Trekworks is the master of the Star Trek kit. Do not expect to build them as fast as he does. I can't match his speed and I suspect that many others cannot as well.

Post questions here, most of us are very helpful as you have learned. Just be patient, with the big spring contest running, quite a few are focused on their entries. I know that I am.

Thanks Grendels! Wise words of advice. I've been astonished at how quickly, and how helpful, people on this forum respond. I'm worried that I bit off more than I can chew with the Warbird, but I guess I'll find out soon (it's in the mail). I built it once about...well, 20 years ago. Literally. And I definitely didn't light it, or give it a fancy paint job, to say nothing of tiny windows. So I'm wondering whether I'll be up to the task. If I can't pull this one off I'm not sure which Trek model I could tackle...most have dozens of windows and a hundred decals; this one only has one decal.

Anyway, thanks again for all the great advice, and for the helpful videos. I'll post pics as soon as there are any to post.

Hey Tick-Tock, good luck with this one. Just take your time and like Grendels says, if it frustrates you, put it aside and work on something else.

If you're looking for an easy Star Trek kit, well, I haven't found one yet! ;D

The kit I'm building for the contest is quite good actually. The Revell Klingon D7 Battlecruiser. It has pre-drilled windows, although some are only decals, but you don't need to add those. Seams are relatively easy and clear parts are easy to mask.

TickTock, I'm in virtually the same situation myself! Except I hadn't modled a day in my life when my husband bought be two versions of the 1701-D (clear and standard grey plastic) a couple weeks ago.
I'm learning some basic skills on the grey model. But I want to light the clear one, and that is beginning to sound pretty complicated. Best of wishes in your models!!

Latest posts

Back