New to modelling

DanRees

Hi all,

I'm just getting into this hobby, I am looking to build a Tamiya 35210 British Churchill VII as my first little project. I am looking into getting the bits and pieces I need to get started. Now here's where my confusion begins.

Paints... What type of paints, the colors I need, what varnished to get, what I'd need for weathering.

I'd appreciate it if I could get a point in the right direction.

Welcome to SMA !

You have an airbrush ? or you're brush painting ?
You're located in North America ?

Tamiya is always a good choice for paint .
AK is great too and has a much broader color range .
A lot of people love Vallejo .
Abteilung ,
there's plenty of great model paints .This is a big subject and a lot comes down to personal preference .
AK , and Vallejo and Abteilung sell sets of colors for various subject matter , like WW2 British armor etc .

We'll summon Mr Cat @Pantherman since he's over in your neck of the woods .

Thank you, I really appreciate the help.
When watching YouTube it gets all kind of confusing,

I’ve seen the sets from the various brand which have kinda drawn my attention. Also they do the weathering set, do you know if they are any good?

Hi all,

I'm just getting into this hobby, I am looking to build a Tamiya 35210 British Churchill VII as my first little project. I am looking into getting the bits and pieces I need to get started. Now here's where my confusion begins.

Paints... What type of paints, the colors I need, what varnished to get, what I'd need for weathering.

I'd appreciate it if I could get a point in the right direction.
Hi and welcome to the forum. Lot's of great advice here.

I mainly use vallejo paints but do a fair bit of brush painting. They spray ok but you need to thin them, usually 50/50. Not always the same, you have to add a little more or less thinner to get it to spray well.

Tamiya is great for spraying, again thinned 50/50. Always consistent.

Mainly buy from amazon UK but Hobbies 247 have some good paints at great price.

What compressor and airbrush are you looking for, got a decent setup last year and very happy with it. Pantherman

Screenshot_20240326_182941_Amazon Shopping.jpgScreenshot_20240326_183024_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I'd been looking at compressors on Amazon and came across this one but wasn't sure.

Amazon product ASIN B07DPFB1DD
I'll defiantly take a look the one you recommended.

I was looking at either the vallejo or the AK paints, mainly because they have sets and it might be easier than trying to figure out what paint's I need. A set would help a lot, do you think?

1711480775879.png

I'd been looking at compressors on Amazon and came across this one but wasn't sure.

I was looking at either the vallejo or the AK paints, mainly because they have sets and it might be easier than trying to figure out what paint's I need. A set would help a lot, do you think?

View attachment 115520
I would say it's better to have an air tank with the compressor.

Vallejo do some lovely sets of paint with details of what colours go where. Just check the contents as you might end up with several of the same colou.

I found that just buying a few colours for the build you do will get you alot of the main colours you need. Pantherman

View attachment 115520
I started with a set up like this but have since switched to the compressor with the air tank like Pantherman posted. I recommend you go straight to the one with the tank, it's a world of difference.

I started with a set up like this but have since switched to the compressor with the air tank like Pantherman posted. I recommend you go straight to the one with the tank, it's a world of difference.
I think I am going to go with one with a tank, I guess it's not going to be on constantly while you use it. I've been looking at a few of them and I think the one Panterman recommended is what I'm going to pick up.

I think I am going to go with one with a tank, I guess it's not going to be on constantly while you use it. I've been looking at a few of them and I think the one Panterman recommended is what I'm going to pick up.
The good thing is any airbrush will run from it and it's really easy to adjust the pressure.

I bought the cheap airbrush to practice with but I'm still using it as it works perfectly.
You will need to clean whatever airbrush you get after each session and strip it down usually every couple of months to keep it working well. Pantherman

I’m going to put my order in tomorrow for the airbrush and compressor. I went to my local model shop which is only down the road and he stocks Tamiya paint, I need to email him to see if he can order Vallejo and ak paints.

I picked up the Tamiya panzer II C French campaign model.

1711563122463.jpeg

I’m going to put my order in tomorrow for the airbrush and compressor. I went to my local model shop which is only down the road and he stocks Tamiya paint, I need to email him to see if he can order Vallejo and ak paints.

I picked up the Tamiya panzer II C French campaign model.

View attachment 115531
Can't go wrong with the tamiya kits. Post lot's of pictures. Pantherman

After the tank is filled with air your compressor will only kick on occasionally to keep it full. Those small compressor are pretty quiet.

I do not like Vallejo paints. They leave sort of a rubbery, vinyl feel once dried. For what it’s worth and getting your moneys worth, I’d invest in AK Interactive Real Colors line. Tamiya isn’t too bad either.

As far as airbrushes goes… check out Don’s Airbrush review site. Make your own decision and what you can afford. Here’s the site:

https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/

I’d stay away from craft paints for now until you get more experience.

One last thing…. for the love of God, STOP shopping at Amazon for all your model building related things - model kits, paints, glues, tools, supplies, etc… There are better hobby related online stores to choose from. Cheaper too.

I do not like Vallejo paints. They leave sort of a rubbery, vinyl feel once dried. For what it’s worth and getting your moneys worth, I’d invest in AK Interactive Real Colors line. Tamiya isn’t too bad either.

As far as airbrushes goes… check out Don’s Airbrush review site. Make your own decision and what you can afford. Here’s the site:

https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/

I’d stay away from craft paints for now until you get more experience.

One last thing…. for the love of God, STOP shopping at Amazon for all your model building related things - model kits, paints, glues, tools, supplies, etc… There are better hobby related online stores to choose from. Cheaper too.
Could you recommend a site or two? I’m in the States and REALLY tired of Hobby Lobby.

Latest posts

Back