New modeler looking for information

Hoggarth

Hello all,

I've recently gotten back into modelling after a long adulthood (about 40 years away from the glue) and I have been digging into different sites and youtube channels. There is a ton of information I'm sifting through, but there is one thing I really could use some information on.

In 2014 I stumbled upon IPMS and the National Convention. Since it was in my backyard I went and really enjoyed looking at all the amazing builds there. So, this year I would like to go check out a few shows that are nearby. I went to the IPMS site and found their list of upcoming events, but in my searching I have heard of other acronyms that involve shows such as the NNL East show coming up in April. I have no idea what NNL stands for and have so far been unsuccessful in my search.

So, hear is my question: What are the other major groups that do shows and where I can find information on upcoming shows. I think I've caught a glimpse of ACME ... or was it ACMS?

I apologize for such basic questions. Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning a lot here.

Cheers!

Hoggarth said:
Hello all,

I've recently gotten back into modelling after a long adulthood (about 40 years away from the glue) and I have been digging into different sites and youtube channels. There is a ton of information I'm sifting through, but there is one thing I really could use some information on.

In 2014 I stumbled upon IPMS and the National Convention. Since it was in my backyard I went and really enjoyed looking at all the amazing builds there. So, this year I would like to go check out a few shows that are nearby. I went to the IPMS site and found their list of upcoming events, but in my searching I have heard of other acronyms that involve shows such as the NNL East show coming up in April. I have no idea what NNL stands for and have so far been unsuccessful in my search.

So, hear is my question: What are the other major groups that do shows and where I can find information on upcoming shows. I think I've caught a glimpse of ACME ... or was it ACMS?

I apologize for such basic questions. Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning a lot here.

Cheers!

Hi, Hoggarth, welcome back to the hobby, and welcome to the Herd!

As far as shows go, a majority are run by IPMS chapters, even if "IMPS" doesn't appear in the title, but it's a good question, because there are very good organizations with important, prominent shows.

Were you thinking perhaps of the Armor Modeling and Preservation Society, or AMPS? They host an annual show every April. Their website is http://www.amps-armor.org/ampssite/shows.aspx

Are you looking for a particular genre or modeling category? There are figure-specific shows, armor model shows, shows for ship modelers, aircraft modelers, a lot of car modeler shows, sci-fi and fantasy.

I belong to a figure collector's club, the Miniature Figure Collectors of America (est 1941) and we host a show every spring, currently held in Valley Forge. Our exhibition includes models as well as figures, though it's heavy on figures, as you may imagine. Here in the East Coast, we also have the New Jersey IPMS chapter's annual modeling show, MosquitoCon, and figure shows like the Long Island Miniature Figure Society's show, the Capitol Figure Modeler Society's show (in DC), JerseyFest, which is a sci-fi and fantasy modeler's show. Those are shows I can think of, off the top of my head.

The rest of the gang will have some very good suggestions, too, I am sure.

I look forward to seeing your builds here in the forum!

Thanks for the link. Although I am just getting back into the hobby (well, about 9 months now), I have 3 models in various stages. One tank, one plane, and one sci-fi are scattered about the desk. I have also started my untouched collection with 3 planes, a piece of artillary, and a car. The only genre I don't have an extreme interest in yet is ships.

I do have MosquitoCon on my list, as well as a few others that I found within driving distance of southeast Virginia.

I look forward to getting more links for possible road trips.

NNL is for auto and truck builders, and stands for Nameless National Luminaries.

It is a contest perse, they have few awards, usually the yearly theme, few other themes, people's choice and judges choice maybe. The judges choice is sort of an oxymoron, as NNL isn't a judged show, basically a non-compete show, which alot of people like. I know NNL East has like 1200-1300 kits on the tables usually.

Latest posts

Back