Ned's Towing

Dr. Marneaus

Hi everybody!

Bear with me on this. This is only my my second model since actually starting back up on this hobby since I was a kid.

I wanted to try to weather a model, and have never done so before beyond a little dry brushing.

I picked up a Revell 77 wrecker. I personally was not happy with the kit for a few reasons (engine/undercarriage all being 1 big low detail piece, etc) so I decided this would be a good model to get creative with.

My inspiration was the truck in the pictures directly below.

7CE232C5-9455-4243-BDAD-078FE504615B.jpg
2BFF8CA2-E8AF-4FC8-BCC4-72ABD2954969.jpg
B3275506-CB58-47FA-8C1D-73E9216CC4C5.jpg

I know this one is from new york, but I liked the rust patterns because it just looked like it was straight up left outside its whole life. I figured an old beater truck, maybe from a high desert location so it'll be dusty, dirty, sun scorched, and would have a little bit of rot with some mud too.

I had it finished up the other day, but when I was taking pictures against a white background I wasn't pleased with the way the truck looked. I hadn't done the stencils or anything at that point, and it wasn't anywhere near as dirty. After looking at it, i may need to do some more weathering on the undercarriage and possibly near the rear window. But I digress.... here we go!

Ned's Towing

I figure Ned is the kinda guy who doesn't care too much about....well, anything. He probably bought his tow truck from the City when they were done with it, or maybe a police auction. Who knows, and who cares as long as it runs right? Bought it, brought it home, slapped some mismatched paint over the old logos, and stenciled his business name. He doesn't care about a little rust or body damage, so why would he care about overall appearances? Inside and out, his truck is a working vehicle and is treated as such.

Ned2.jpg
Ned1.jpg
Ned3.jpg
Ned4.jpg
Ned5.jpg
Ned6.jpg

Nice work with this one, especially when thinking how much that kit lacks detail. You did a great job with the weathering, it looks very realistic to me. Keep these coming. ;)

I declare this one a success. You've really did a nice job and really replicated well your inspiration truck.

Hulk said:
I declare this one a success. You've really did a nice job and really replicated well your inspiration truck.

Thanks!

It looked a lot more like the inspiration pics during the process, then i decided I might as well go for broke on making it dirty/weathered since I didn't particularly care for this kit and I had never tried weathering before.

It was just too darn clean looking still.
9AF714AC-41D4-451E-B48B-31060A66D588.jpg

First round of weathering:
38B5BF32-70F3-4AD9-B779-EE812A1A1382.jpg

Then i just went back and hit it hard and got what we see above. I'll do something more mild on another one down the road.

Latest posts

Back