Nascar - Darrel Waltrip - Pepsi #11 Challanger

hooterville75

Figured its been a while since I posted any build pics so here is the latest of my builds Im working on. Not very happy with the outcome of this one so far as Im disappointed with the paint job in a few places as well as the glue smudges on the windshield. Here are some pics.

The kit im building is Darrel Waltrips Pepsi #11 Nascar from the mid 80s
Kit_zps3aaacadb.jpg

Painting the Body, Nose and Hood
BasecoatPainting2_zpsb52ba5be.jpg

BasecoatPainting1_zps7e4d2081.jpg

BasecoatPainting_zpsf53c03e1.jpg

Body2_zps00eff1e6.jpg

NosewithBlack_zps97843eda.jpg

HoodandNose_zps96f974d0.jpg

Silver, Flat & Gloss Black Painting
FlatBlackPainting_zps0e22bae9.jpg

GlossBlackPainting_zps9e8c6cfd.jpg

SilverPainting_zpsa83ab024.jpg

SuspensionPainting_zps6ddebca6.jpg

Engine Assembly - All the Engine was painted with a Red and Silver Enamel Testors Marker
EngineAssembly1_zps9330c40d.jpg

EngineAssembly_zps3bcf186f.jpg

Chassis Work
ChassisPainting_zpsd313328b.jpg

ChassisWork-Copy_zps8e9655ae.jpg

Roll Cage Assembly
RollCage1_zps16c5342a.jpg

RollCage_zps38ce6519.jpg

Drivers Seat
DriversSeat_zps2c20dc1a.jpg

Dash
Dash_zpsaf971dd0.jpg

Window net - Painted with Testors Red Enamel Marker
WindowNet_zps76eda9e0.jpg

Test Fitting Engine
FittingEngine_zpsa9f539d7.jpg

Looks good so far dude! You can fix that windshield. You have any sanding sticks? If you do you can sand out the glue mark. Go from heavy grit to the finest grit, then give the windshield a dunk in future. Let it sit for 2-3 days. Presto no more glue smudge. The sanding sticks I use are the ones from Squadron, six grits in a pack, Also, try using regular Elmer's white glue when you glue clear parts. Nice thing is you can take excess off before it dries. Dries hard and clear.

Completed Roll Cage
CompletedRollCage_zps79ea19b4.jpg

Rear Suspension (Housing)
RearEndHousing_zpsec2505d2.jpg

Fuel Cell
FuelCell_zps177f523b.jpg

Front End Suspension (Shocks) all painted by Testors Enamel Gold and Silver Markers
FrontShocks_zps12d831c9.jpg

Engine Installed
EngineInstalled_zpse8612151.jpg

Tires Added
TiresAdded1_zpsdc8bf493.jpg

TiresAdded_zps5109d12f.jpg

TiresAddedFront_zpsc2ee9a46.jpg

Thats all the farther Ive made it so far. Im currently in the process of clear coating the body, nose and hood, getting ready to install the body over the chassis and then start decaling. Will post more pics as I get more finished with the build and photos taken.

adampolo13 said:
Looks good so far dude! You can fix that windshield. You have any sanding sticks? If you do you can sand out the glue mark. Go from heavy grit to the finest grit, then give the windshield a dunk in future. Let it sit for 2-3 days. Presto no more glue smudge. The sanding sticks I use are the ones from Squadron, six grits in a pack, Also, try using regular Elmer's white glue when you glue clear parts. Nice thing is you can take excess off before it dries. Dries hard and clear.

I do have the Squadron sanding sticks pack of six and I did do sanding as you stated and dunked in Future which did work at first but then had the windshield fall off (I always have trouble with this god for saken Testors Clear Cement I have) when putting the nose on the body. So I had to glue it again and of course smeared the glue when attaching the windshield again the second time. Theres a semi fit problem that was just big enough to make things miserable getting the windshield on. Theres still a gap from the bottom of the windshield and where the hood meets the windshield. I have no putty experience so Im thinking about just making this a experimental kit and playing with the Tamiya one part Putty I have although Im told to stay away from one part and get two part putty but its all I have at the moment. So I may try to play with that and have my first experience with putty to fill the gap. I may try to fix the windshield again now that Im getting to the finishing stages of the kit. I may try to do some touch up paint work as well.

Looking very good So far Hooterville :) , looking forward to seeing that body all decaled up .

Chris.

Thanks Chris, hoping to get to the decals tomorrow morning. I am probably going about it wrong but I gave the entire kit 2 clear coats, will decal tomorrow morning, then hopefully get to giving it two or three more clear coats tomorrow after I finish decaling it.

Not wrong at all ,you want the surface as smooth and glossy as you can make it for applying decals.

Chris.

Looking Good Man!!! Gotta Love Some Old School DW!!!

Sorry all I didnt get to do any decaling or any work to this Nascar build tonight as my daughter finally remembered that she bought me a Corvette kit for Christmas that I havent started yet and expressed some disappointment so tonight I started prepping the Corvette. Hoping to get some more work done to the Nascar tomorrow evening as the Roto Rooter will be here at 8 AM hoping this fixes the problem with the water in the basement. If this doesnt work its a cracked pipe which spells disaster and no modeling of any sorts being bought in the next half year or so because Ill have to dig the entire pipe up and install a new one which is very expensive. Chris, and CT I promise to get some decaling done in the next day or so ha ha. This Corvette appears to be a fun build in the making as well.

Sorry about the water problem man. That is never fun. I hope you get the problem fixed with minimal financial woes.

Nice work hooter, hope the plumbing issues don't slow you down too much.... Remember you can always use the kitchen table ;)

Sucks about the Glass but you could try polish it out with some really fine sand paper. :)

Build looks really good to me. :)

Thanks Spud. I started putting the decals on tonight. Dont know if Im going to like the finished build or not as the decals didnt make sense in a couple of areas. I had to modify them as they just didnt seem right in a couple of places. I have a few wrinkles but I guess thats to be expected when youve built less then a dozen kits in your life time ha ha. I will get better at this, I promised myself before I started that I wouldnt be a perfect builder for a few years and probably not even then. My goals are to get better with each build and learn as I go so thats what Im attempting to do. Just sucks when things dont go right and get results less then what you expected before you started the build ha ha. Pics to come tomorrow sometime. Thanks for following this build guys, truly appreciate the support.

Got the decals about half done. Very minimal time the last couple days to work on this bad boy. Here is what I have decaled to this point. Hoping to get this one finished up this weekend sometime. Ive already started a 1968 Corvette my daughter got me for Christmas. Hoping its a beauty because its going to be a Red Corvette ha ha.

Here is the body decaled to where I got it to this point.
Decals2_zps4cb88f74.jpg

Decals1_zps29eedf2d.jpg

Decals_zps4308a677.jpg

Here is the next build Ill be doing. A 1968 Corvette
Corvette_zps350ca26d.jpg

Corvette1_zps2dd20e30.jpg

Ok the decals are completed now. Am I content with the finished results ? Absolutely NOT. I'm actually half embarrassed about the finished results but hey that's the point of scale model building. Learn as you go. Its my fault as I didn't prepare myself enough before applying the decals with research to know exactly how some of the decals needed positioned. I need to research how to apply decals period a bit as I'm doing some things that have to be wrong that could be done differently to produce better results. Here are a couple photos of me finishing the decals.

Decaling_zps2ce74983.jpg

Decaling1_zps7b681e29.jpg

Decaling2_zpsb0196e01.jpg

Decaling3_zps76dd95fc.jpg

I'm not a fond supporter of Micro Set and Micro Sol as I have seen no added benefits of applying either. I didn't even use Micro Set this time just the Micro Sol. I'm told that Solvaset is better so Ill get some of that and give it a whirl. They say you learn as you go and that's part of my goals is to learn more with every kit put together. I've learned a few things while putting this kit together so Ill take what I've learned and put it to use with the Corvette I'm working on as well. Best thing about that one is there are no decals to be applied HA HA HA. lol. Here is two photos of the body on the chassis with the finished decals. Just need to shoot two or three more clear coats, polish again, wax and detail spray and its completely finished. On to the Corvette :D

DecalCompleted1_zpsf7e675bc.jpg

DecalCompleted_zpsb0fcbb4c.jpg

Decals can be fun or a pain in the booty. I definitely have had both kinds. LOL.

Thanks Spudster this car came in a two car combo. It is his Pepsi car I just did and the Mountain Dew car that I plan on doing after I finish the Corvette that my daughter got me for Christmas. I'm kind of in a dilemma though as I used the wrong chrome kit for the Pepsi car before I noticed it was the wrong one. The headlight covers had a chrome part that didn't fit right so I cut the one part off the chrome cover which is the reason I determined that I was using the wrong chrome kit at first. So when I get to that part of the MD car I'm going to have to figure out some way to make the cut chrome part work. Do Chrome sprues stretch when heated like regular sprue trees ? Maybe I can play with heating and stretching sprues for the first time and make it work. If not Ill just have to buy another of the same kit for the chrome pieces and then just buy after market decals for the other car in the kit as Ill already have that one finished. Oh well the joys of scale model building ha ha ha I LOVE IT. CT I hear ya Mate ha ha. I don't normally mind decaling I just got lazy with this one and didn't research it enough to know how to position some of the decals. THe other problem I had was knowing how to cut the decals in a straight line. For some reason I cant do that at all. You can see this with the hood decal. They don't like to cut for me at all. I also screwed the decal up on the trunk and hood pins when cutting around the hood and trunk pins. Actually I don't think I even cut the decals over the hood pins because of my troubles with cutting the trunk pins.

Latest posts

Back