My Tiger Ausf. B Final Production Build

Mr. Goch

I decided to take a break from my Trumpeter 1/16 KT and take a stab at building a Final Production Tiger Ausf. B, using Hilary Doyle's outstanding 1/35 scale drawings found in T. Jentz's VK45.02.

The base kit is Dragon 6232 KINGTIGER LATE PRODUCTION w/NEW PATTERN TRACK. I also cannibalized Dragon 6303 KINGTIGER Henschel Turret w/Zimmerit for its PE. I also used Aber's 35K01 (Tiger I Deluxe Set) for additional PE detail parts.

After assembling the major components, I proceeded to detail the hull and turret. I added strands of .1mm styrene to better replicate the weld seams on the turret and hull roof. The strands were softened with Plastuct Plastic Weld; then, using a chisel blade, I was able to tuck and shape the strands into the crevises:

IMG_3379_b.jpg

After adding some details, I decided to add some texture in order to simulate the imperfections found on rolled homogeneous steel plate. Instead of using the standard Mr. Surfacer method, I opted to use good ol' Model Master Steel Metalizer straight from the bottle. Less mess, tastes better :D. I used an old sable brush to apply the Metalizer, in fairly thick coats, onto the hull and turret. The lacquer in the Metalizer softens the plastic causing it to form small imperfections on the immediate surface. After the Metalizer dried, I used superfine steel wool to smooth out everything and polish the Metalizer, which is now embedded in the plastic:

IMG_3388copy.jpg

IMG_3384copy.jpg

IMG_3381copy.jpg

The effect is subtle and imparts a fairly realistic representation of rolled armor plate. This method can also be used to replicate the cast texture of the gun shield and the armored exhaust covers.

I like the fact that Dragon 6303 include OEM tools without molded-on tool clasps. This wonderful option permits me to experience full blown insanity, in all its glory, as I try to assemble those impossibly microscopic Aber tool clasps without becoming homicidal. The downside of the tools of Sprue TA is that the handles for the axe, shovel and sledgehammer are plastic. So, what to do about this? Simple! I obtained some logs

Real-Life-Log.jpg

turned them on a lathe

Timberline-Cedar-logs-lathe.jpg

did a little carving and ended up with

IMG_3399copy.jpg

The tow cable on the far right was also carved out of a single toothpick.

Wood Eye lie to you? ;)

Seriously though, I carved and sanded cocktail toothpicks (am I allowed to use that word?) to make wooden handles for the axe, sledge (not pictured. My cat got a hold of it after I dropped it prior to the photo being taken. Guess what's on the menu for Christmas dinner?) and shovel. The object to the right of the shovel, If you look closely, is a 1/35 scale 36" baseball bat. It even has a chipped knob. I know Louisville Sluggers weren't standard OEM in the Wehrmacht. The bat will figure prominently in a little (redundant) vignette I'm planning which will be titled "Three Reichs And Yer Out!"

This project is presently on hold because of a small discrepancy regarding the tracks for this vehicle. According to information available, the late and final production Tiger Bs were to be shod with Kgs 73/800/152 single link tracks. The problem I have encountered concerns whether or not this particular track used in March 1945 was asymmetrical or handed. Kit 6232 comes with handed Kgs 73/800/152 track links:

Part F 1, for the right track run and Part F 2, for the left.

Now, if you were to study the turret photos on pp.134-5 of VK45.02 and compare them with Doyle's drawings on pp.136-7, you will see that this tank had to use only asymmetrical tracks. The location/positioning of the studs between the hangers indicates that this is the case.

As I indicated in the photo below, I overlaid Doyle's drawing on top of my build:

IMG_3379_c.jpg

The turret hardware was placed in the exact positions as seen in Doyle's drawings and in the aforementioned photos of the turret.

This is a photo of the left side with the links, painted German Camouflage Orange for better visibility, (Part F 2) mounted on the hangers.

IMG_3389_a.jpg

This is a photo of the right, with the F 2 links mounted except at the top front. This is an F 1 link, painted German Camo Green:

Clipboard02.jpg

Looking at the inset, you'll notice tha the green F 1 link doesn't line up with the stud. The orange F 2 links do, though. So, what does that tell me? It tells me that the final production Tiger Bs were to be equipped with asymmetrical, and not handed, tracks. In other words, the track run, as represented by Part F 2, would be "flipped", as were the tracks on the Tiger I, when mounted on the right side. A photo, on p.131 in VK45.02, of a final production Tiger B being bulldozed of a road, VK45.02 shows that this indeed is the case. If there are doubts about this, I'll pose this question:

If the track runs on the last Tiger Bs were handed, why were the stud locations on both sides of the turret positioned to mount only track links which are represented by Part F 2? The German designers were anything but stupid. They had to have come to the conclusion that it would not only be logical, but economical, to use only asymmetrical track links. Sure, Doyle's drawings show handed tracks; but, the stud locations in those same drawings say otherwise. The photos of the last turret also bear this out.

So, what can I do about this track dilemma? Does anyone know if Friul ATL-37, or -92, are handed or not? Does anyone here know of a source for track links which are identical to the kit part F2? Any information would be appreciated. Unlike my Trumpy KT, I'd like to complete this build before my as-of-yet unborn great grandchildren celebrate their 30th birthdays. :)

Hiya Mr. G! First..great build so far! Looking really nice!!

As for the "handed tracks", can't really help with that sorry (i think I would assume they would be) Try posting the question maybe over on ML, think the answer would pop up rather quickly!

Good luck!! ;)

..........LOL....Modifying my post her!!! Was just over there and realized you asked the question there!! ::)

G ,

WoW ! Rock-On .. Cool lookin' Kat ! Outstanding tutorial !! I like th fact that you've base coated it in silver. Can't wait to see th Paint & weathering & chipping !!

Great job on th OVM tools ! So .. it's after Christmas ... did Garfield survive ? ;D

I dig th photo of th overlay & your model ! Very cool .... how did ya' do that ?

I'm lookin' forward to seein more !

Wow :eek: can't on the tracks but man you Re going into some detail here.. Looking foreword to the next update

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Re the handed tracks, I believe I have my answer. Liejon Schoot (of uber-detailed Trumpeter 1/16 KT fame ;D) provided me with information about late production vehicles in the Ardennes being fitted with the handed Kgs 73/800/152 single link tracks. The fact that my vehicle is based on Hilary Doyle's drawings of a final/last production can with hangers/studs for one type of link sways me into the "asymmetrical" camp.

Also, thanks to Oh_ne_kun (another most righteous super detailer of the Trumpy cat) for his observations and insight on the many often overlooked details found on different KTs during the production run, I have updated information regarding the size and location of the track guard brackets as found on late production vehicles. Tiger IIs produced from December 1944 onward had a different track guard bracket, size and locationwise. Since the initial photos were taken, I've had to make a few modifications to the number and positioning of the track guard mounting brackets, hull hardware and also the length of the rear hatch torsion bar guards.

The final production hulls had a different arrangement for the track guard brackets. An additional bracket was added to the front and rear on each side, bringing the total to 13 brackets per side. These brackets were also smaller, heightwise. They scale to 3mm H x 1.5mm wide. They (each pair) are spaced 3mm apart. As you can see in the photos of one of the last KTs manufactured by Henschel:

30v0u2q-1.jpg

tigerII-vi-1.jpg

the location of the brackets differs from what was found on previously completed vehicles. The spacing between the bracket pairs, and the locations to accomodate the appropriate track guards was changed. I've annotated the photo below with the proper dimensions for positioning the hardware (tow cable/cleaning rod holders, tow cable holders, etc.), already scaled to 1:35, so anyone contemplating building the relatively new kit from DML (kit no. 6208, King Tiger Last Production) can make the necessary mods to replicate all the actual changes found on the last vehicles to roll out of the Henschel factory in March 1945.

KTLateAnnotated_a.jpg

The problem with the new DML kit is that they've boxed up the same damned hull found in previous KT kits. The track guard brackets are located in the correct number and location for a KT completed up to Feb/Mar 45. (They also failed to include the late Kgs 73/800/152 single link tracks; instead, including transport tracks. Well, at least they're not those lame one piece rubberband-like DS Tracks.) Ditto with the locations for the hull hardware. With the exception of the shovel holder and the tool clasps for the hand crank on the left side, the locations of the brackets, tow cable holders and tow cable/cleaning rod holders are mirrored (in the same locations) on both sides of the hull.

The rear hatch had to be modified by cutting the upper corners at an angle and adding 1mm styrene rods (to depict the simplified hatch locking lugs found on some late/last/final production vehicles). The torsion bars and the guards covering them also required some modificaions. The guards were cut down to a length of 7mm and the torsion bars were accordingly shortened. I'll post pictures of the updated features in the next post. I'm taking my son to visit Dzia Dzia (Polish, for Grandpa :)) in a few.

Panzerace007, the overlay was made by reducing the opacity of Hilar doyle's overhead drawing, copying and then pasting it onto my model's photo. Then, I had to perform some distorting to get it to fit somewhat in alignment with my image. The beauty of Photoshop. :)

Re the stomach with legs (aka Raven the Cat), he's lucky I like him. Otherwise, he would have been served with orange sauce, instead of the goose. ;D Besides, I found the sledge under the TV stand.

Latest posts

Back