My first Kit Completion

hooterville75

Ha ha, ya all can laugh. Here is the completion of my first kit. Tried learning some of the techniques Ive learned on here in different areas and have mega room for improvement but am very content with my first kit. It can only get better from here :).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Assuming by the size of the photos that taking photos with a cellular phone isnt a good thing ha ha. Ill be sure to resize the photos when I take the next photos.

Man, that looks really good. Yeah take more pics but that is nothing to laugh at. Congrats on your first build and well done.

Scott Girvan said:
Man, that looks really good. Yeah take more pics but that is nothing to laugh at. Congrats on your first build and well done.

Thanks Scott. I know for fact the paint job needs way more improvement. The decals several are wrinkled, someone mentioned that I used too much solutions. I'm going to try something different with the next one. I'm going to just use the Micro Sol and forget the Micro Set unless there is a bump, lump or hard to get angle etc. I'm going to do a bit of research on the getting the body shiny. I have a lot of paint work to research. Being honest I sprayed the first base coat of paint with Krylon Short Cuts Red. I then got the airbrush and Testors paint and couldn't wait lol I had to use it. So I painted two more coats of Testor's Red. I then put a coat of Future on it. Then did the decals.

Its a lot of fun but Ive already started the next kit :D This one I want to get nice as I can as its a Davey Allison 1991 Ford Thunderbird. Want to use up some of this Testors paint I have to experience this brand of paint before I get the Vallejo and Tamiya. I have some Nascar kits I can finish that I got cheap from Evilbay that I can finish up before I buy anything else. Get a little experience and branch out. The sky's the limit.

Well you have the idea for sure...finish and start another. You did great for your first and you have the right idea..research, practice, improve; it's the only way.

Here's to many more from hooterville75!

Looking good,

But I think you have it backwards.

The Micro Sol is to snug the decals around irregular surfaces.

Easiest way to do decals. Whatever you are putting decals on, make sure it is a gloss surface the decals are going on.

Put decal in water, let soak 10-15 sec, pull out and let sit on a paper towel for 30 secs or so. While that is happening, brush Micro Set (blue lettered bottle) on the kit in the location where the decal is going. Then place decal in the location, blot out the rest of the liquid with a paper towel or similar (make up sponges that women use works well), being careful to get out as much of any air bubbles as you can. Let it dry for a min or 2 (you can go on to the next decal if you want, just repeat the process again), after a min or so, then using the Micro Sol (red lettered bottle) brush the Micro Sol over the decal....and then leave it....don't touch it, it will look like it is going to wrinkle up and look like junk, but should settle back down over night. If you find there is still some air bubbles under the decal, lightly prick it, or score the air bubble with a sharp Xacto blade, and then reapply the Micro Sol.

Once it is all dry, give it another coat of varnish (gloss if it is a glossy vehicle, matt if it is a flat vehicle) and viola...decals look like they aren't decals, but painted on.

Looks good for your first build! Congratulations on getting her done, and look forward to many more. :)

LOL, you may perhaps get hungry again after I complete the current build because after this one will be the Burger King of Joe Nemacheck lol.

Well done buddy like it , more models is the way

once again cheers for the offer on sending some "Future". With the freight added I'm not really going to save anything that way. I am about to do some tests on a product I found in a local hardware chain that looks like the biz... once again many thanks for your offer, thats what SMA is all about.

Gav

Latest posts

Back