mounts

Psylow

Could some of y'all post a pick of what a mount looks like before you connect it to your model? I'd just want to see what different fittings one would need as well as a way to articulate it if you wanted your model to sit at different angles. I ended up putting a wodden dowel on the one I just finished because I could not find a tube that would fit or the right fittings. Thanks again.

I've used brass rod from the local Lowes and taken small steel ball bearings and spot welded the bearing to the rod to make all sorts mount solutions......clear rod and spheres can be obtained online and some CA glue used to mate the two together. Use heat and some patience to get all sorts of angles.

I've also seen some thicker clear rod used inserted into the thruster sections of aircraft/spacecraft and bent at 90-45 degrees to have it "hover" over a small wooden base that has a picture or nametag on it.

Psylow - that's a snap-fit ball bearing joint that comes with the kit.

I don't bother with a movable mount because it's rare that I'll need to reposition it once it's finished. I usually buy two concentric sizes of square or rectangular brass tubing - large one goes in the model, smaller one in the base. That way I can mount the one in the model at the angle I want and using square instead of round means if it's at a non-balanced angle or position it won't be able to spin on the rod.

The other problem with a moveable mount like this one comes with heavier models.
my Mutara build from last year's contest is practically leaning back on its nacelles right now.
The mount just won't hold stiffly enough to keep the mass level

Latest posts

Back