Monofilament Line

Fruit

Hi guys!

I've googled this for a good half hour and haven't found an exact answer. Does Monofilament line have a potential to cause cancer?

I bought this stuff:

http://www.south-bend.com/products/terminal-tackle/fishing-line/multi-purpose-line

and on the back read a label - "Warning: the products contains lead a chemical know to state of California to cause cancer and birth defects and other reproductive harm" (Sadly the warning label seems to lose its effect since the grammar usage is quite poor - hinting at a possibility of a 'tacked on' label)

So...can anyone confirm or deny this?

monofilament fishing lines are usually made out of plastic, i think the label may be referring to the lead weights used as sinkers (i.e. to pull the hook and line under water) when fishing.

if this company also produces lead weights, or if there is a special rule about all fishing products needing this label, then i could understand why that label is there.

you'll find the same warning on lead air gun pellets, both on the tin of pellets and in the instruction/box of the air gun itself

Fruit....do you live in California? If not you have nothing to worry about.

Seems all those warnings refer to if you live in California you could get cancer from Product X.

I am thinking it is less about the product, and more about living in California! ;D ;D ;D

Thanks guys!

And yes Scott (?), I do live in California :D

I posted this same topic on a different forum and I got the same response from another member! Odd though,
I've never even heard about these California specific labels, and I've been living here for 17 years! :p

Yeah, alot of items, especially model related have California specific labeling on it. Like the product effects those in California differently then other parts of the world.

What are you guys putting in the water out there? LOL

Well, about the water, we say that the water in Hollister, CA is the only water you can chew and drink
at the same time ;D

But in all seriousness, so I'd be fine right? I'm really wary about my health, so the question is rather serious.

you have more chance of getting cancer from passing smoke

Fruit said:
But in all seriousness, so I'd be fine right? I'm really wary about my health, so the question is rather serious.

If I recall correctly, you model with paper to reduce your contact with plastics, correct?

If this is true, and it's a health concern of yours then you don't want to use the monofilament line because it's plastic, and the warning label is due to the chemicals used in extruding the fishing line.

Anything made from plastic will probably wear this label in Cali. and if that is your concern, there is a similar product made from something like polyester, which may be more along the lines of what you are comfortable using, it may be available in the sewing section of craft stores etc.

Just as a side note - some modellers use a small diameter metal guitar string (or some other fine guage wire) for rigging. Might work nice for you if you're worried about plastic contact. I think you could punch or drill two small holes in the model, then cut a slightly longer length of wire. Glue in place after inserting both ends of the wire into the pre-made holes. Big plus - no extra painting... If you're really careful about the lengths being cut you may not even have to make the holes...

Just a thought.

Jason

Thanks guys, again, I very much appreciate the input - especially since I'll be using some wire today.

Ken, I don't model in paper because I want to reduce my contact with plastics. Heck, I'm plastic modeling as I
type this ;D

I've seen a lot of modelers have great success with monofilament wire, and I'm willing to give it a try. Plus, the other wire I have is steel bead stringing wire, and steel is a bit more harder to bend than brass (but you guys already knew that).

Jmac, I appreciate the idea - but I do intend to go all out with the scratch built rigging, turnbuckles and all :p But hey, I'll keep a note for the future!

Okay,

I thought I remembered you mentioning that you model with paper to avoid toxins, perhaps you meant the glue etc.

Yeah, what put me off was the enamel and the smelly putty work. But besides that, plastic modeling is A O.K. with me.

Alrighty, so I guess I'll be using that line today, thanks again guys!

As another side note, this is what I use for biplane rigging.
productimage.php

This is what i used to rig my curtiss flying boat from last years BSC. What I like about this line is that it is somewhat elastic - so it's easy to tension. The spider theard also adheres to CA really well and I find easy to paint. I buy it at a fishing/outdoors shop here for about $5 CAD. It comes in a 100 foot spool which lasts me a good long time.

Another option.
Jason

Latest posts

Back