modelflex vs hairspray

noname

I have tried the Badger Modelflex paint a few times over hairspray for chipping. It seems to crack. This is good if you want this effect. Not so great if you don't. Just wondering if anyone else has found this?

I have had no problems with the Modelfelx as the base coat. It is actually quite solid. Just put some on your finger and try to wash it off. ;D

I used Polly Scale paint - acrylic railroad paint from Model Masters - over hairspray and I too had cracking. The effect looks great, lots of small cracks, but I don't think it's a look you would always want. I think it would look great on old doors and buildings though.

Erik

ive used it as a test bed to see how it works with the hsp it does seem to come off very easy not seeing the cracks. ive also not tested it with the AK chipping

Mr.Lucky, you are right it is a great effect for old paint on wood etc.

So you didn't notice any cracks eh Spud. Hmmm. Must be something else going on.

Anybody else try this?

I had cracking once with modelflex, the first time I used it.

The next two times I used it, I waited longer for the hairspray to dry and I put the modelflex on in much thinner coats and have not had it happen since.

I figured I had either put the paint on before the hairspray cured, or I had put the model flex on too thick, too fast.

I waited plenty of time for the HS to dry but I very well may have put it on too thick. I'll have to try it again with thin coats to see if that works for me. Thanks Ken.

Although,.... now we know how to make a nice cracking effect for old doors etc. ;)

Latest posts

Back