Modeler's Indecision

Dusky

What do you do when you've lost interest in everything you're working on, but can't decide what model of your stash you do want to work on? My stash isn't even that big...

That's usually when I decide it's time to work on something other than models for a bit.
Luckily for me, I have Poser and a few games for that.

Sometimes it is good to walk away from it for a little bit. But I get alot of inspiration looking at other people's work. There are soooo many other model sights out there. Endless eye candy to look at.

I have a bunch of builds going right now, but in my recent past I was getting bogged down and not finishing them. It's a common problem. One of the other guys gave me the advice, to just work on one thing for a little while, until it was done. So I focused on some smaller stuff I had in my WiP pile. Got one done, helped a lot to just get over the hump. Knowing when to take a break can help to, but eventually if you want to keep modeling you will want to finish something. Even if it's not turning out the way you like, finish it up (if you're inclined to, you can strip it down and refinish it in the future). For me the building is fun, but it's completing a project that can bring a lot of satisfaction.

Jmac's got the right plan. I really enjoy putting a new addition on the display shelf even if it's not perfect.

I have the exact opposite problem as you though. I want to spend more time at the bench but I've got other stuff to do too. Life has a way of getting in the way. :-\ ::) :p

try to do aside from modelling... hang around with friends, play ball or something. ;D

If you truly have "nothing else to do" This would be a great time to re-do your workbench/area. Try creating a better setup (it can always be better).

...and post pics when you are done!

ShutterAce said:
Jmac's got the right plan. I really enjoy putting a new addition on the display shelf even if it's not perfect.

I have the exact opposite problem as you though. I want to spend more time at the bench but I've got other stuff to do too. Life has a way of getting in the way. :-\ ::) :p

Hey, how did you get in my mind.........

;)

Personally, I reserve weekends for time away from the workbench. I ski, play & rehearse in bands, do my laundry, cleaning & grocery shopping, and visit friends & family. As a single guy, I guess I have the freedom to do what I want when I want. I choose to use my weeknights (usually 2 or 3 nights) around the model bench (if work commitments don't get in the way). IMHO, modeling is just another one of the things that I have in my life. Not much of a Scale Model 'Addict', I guess... ;)

I don't have boxes of models waiting to be built laying around either. I instead write a list of possible kits to try. I purchase ONE model that I work on until it's ready for paint. As I paint that model (only after work with the school's never-used fume hood/spray booth), I can build my next model at home.

This is, and always has been, my personal recipe for completion. I have only ever shelved one kit, the AMT Enterprise-E, and I eventually threw it out when I moved out of my parent's house after finishing university.

I like the 'clean the workspace' idea. That's worked for me in the past.

You could simply grab a piece of scrap plastic and experiment with some new technique. I just got done a winter white wash/weathering experiment on a scrap car hood and learned a ton. It was a pile of fun too. I must have spent 2-3 hours weathering that thing...a 1/24 hood.

I've got a loooooot of model kits to build. And I've got too much half built but I discovered something 3 years ago : limiting the choices made you a more inventive person.

Since I didn't have that much of model kits around me (surrounding me ?) I needed to build with what i've got in my hands. Even concerning the tools...

But when I lack motivation, I step aside and try something different, with another model, or even drawing, taking back another project. It's a never ending story I presume :D
Same thing when you have to wait for a part to dry after painting, of putty to dry... Working on something else. Always keeping busy.

As a matter of fact I discovered something else this past few months : I can't watch TV anymore. Since it's rubbish, don't really care (it's numeric format, no more radio-waves Secam channels) but I kinda like to have something in the backgroun to accompany me when building my Kitbashes and such... I was really inventive with bad TV programs actually and I can't really explain it... It's like doing something and listening to Radio, or a pop song. It's not the same with a DVD playing on TV, or Itune music on...

I also tried to motivate me working with other fellow modelers. Didn't worked well, or in 100% efficiency manner. But I sure was inspirated by other dudes work and experience, that's for sure.

All in all : just glue it ! :D

What's the spread - what types of kits to you have - military (and within that, tanks, aircraft, ships, subs...), cars, sci-fi, figures? What's the last one you built? Try shifting gears from one subject to another. Also, if you do a lot of kitbashing and mods, pick something that's very good OOB, or if you just built something straight, find a kit that you want to modify.

When this happens to me, I'll hit up my local hobby shop for some inspiration; maybe I'll see something that someone else has built that peaks my interest. I might even pick up a "scratch & dent" kit or a simple kit or accessory that I can use for a quick or experimental build. It's a great deal less frustrating to botch a new technique on a cheaper or less labour-intensive kit and then you can perfect the technique on your next, more ambitious build.

It's not that nothing in my stash interests me, it's that I'm interested in too many things in my stash. It's also that I'm afraid to start something in fear of screwing it up, losing interest partway into the build, still learning my airbrush and what paint brands I want to use, wanting everything to be perfect and replacing less than desirable parts with resin and metal alternatives that I don't really have the money for. Etc.
twilight_sparkle_avatar_057.png

SoarinSukhoi said:
It's not that nothing in my stash interests me, it's that I'm interested in too many things in my stash. It's also that I'm afraid to start something in fear of screwing it up, losing interest partway into the build, still learning my airbrush and what paint brands I want to use, wanting everything to be perfect and replacing less than desirable parts with resin and metal alternatives that I don't really have the money for. Etc.
twilight_sparkle_avatar_057.png

That exact attitude kept me frozen for a couple of years. I had a not so cheap Tamiya P-47M that I was so afraid to screw up that I wouldn't touch it. This was the kit that I was reentering the hobby with. Anyway, after some online encouragement I went to work and it turned out pretty good. Not perfect by any means but decent. One of these days I'll build another one and it will be a lot better. ;D

P47M_05.png

I have a Tamiya 1/48 P-47M too, but I plan on building it as a D and likely "Ole Cock III." Finished the cockpit, but that's as far as it goes.

The only way to learn is by having a go ,making mistakes and cocking a few things up ...we've all done it believe me ::) ...but most importantly ...Have some FUN !!! Thats what its all about ;) so go on ,crack open a kit and enjoy ...dont matter if you make a mistake ,you'll know the next time and you can always go back and redo sometime ,but if you dont have a go you'll never know ;)

Chris.

Do you crack open a kit the same way you crack open a bear? ;D

I cleaned my room today, so I did something productive. Now just to clean the other rooms.

Latest posts

Back