Merseajohn's Chewie and 3po knight models 30mm

JohnSimmons

For Spud: I was once Merseajohn
Ok so I thought I would do something a little different for my next build. It's Chewie and 3po
from knight models (the 30mm range). There's a nice amount of tiny detail and the parts seem to fit together ok...Chewie's arms are a little off, some filler is ganna be needed. I'll try and document the progress as usual but the first couple of pics here are from the phone.
cfd06532.jpg
737e008e.jpg

I think the scale works out at around 1/48? But 'bear' this is mind...Chewie's over seven foot so I really dont how this works out, the figure is an inch and a half high....
So Ive got some rough updates to show, sorry I've sort of just jumped in with this one. Figures are almost hypnotic to paint and you forget to snap progress shots.
I primered it with tamiya fine from the can and started some filling with vallejo plastic putty (shot with the phone again sorry!!):
0f2fb941.jpg
Then the base coat went on Vallejo Black & Leather brown:
6ce7818b.jpg
And a little montage all colours where a mix between Vallejo's Beige brown, leather brown, orange brown and deep yellow and a dark wash:
Chewie1to4.jpg
And some beauty shots (since the photo's have been taken I've added some highlights to his hair and have done a dark wash on his 'bandola strap').
IMG_1953.jpg
IMG_1959.jpg
I added the whites of the eye's with a tooth pick and added teeth, tounge and lips with a steady hand! I hope you can make it out in the photo's its really hard at this scale. Now onto 3po! ;D
Comments welcome as always ;D

Great job. You've nailed it ...Chewie in all his hairy glory. Nicely painted.
Looking forward to seeing C3PO done and along for the ride.
Congrats! Bill

Thanks Panzerman! Well I think this has to be the shortest build up I've ever done, but time goes fast when your havin fun! Did all the paintwork in a day.
Finished:
IMG_1971.jpg
IMG_1983.jpg
IMG_1981.jpg
IMG_1978.jpg
IMG_1975.jpg

Excellent work on the fur, and especially on the gold color for threepio!!!

I may have to pick up some of the stuff from this line

Looks like it could be in scale with stuff like the AMT AT-ST. Would make a nice diorama

Cheers blakeh1, here's a quick shot for ya that I took on my phone......It could work I suppose, still a bit on the small side? Would still look very cool with speeder bikes and Stormtroopers running around!:
5afc937b.jpg
(please excuse the at st :p)

wow awsome job, that net around 3po must have been a pain

merseajohn said:
Cheers blakeh1, here's a quick shot for ya that I took on my phone......It could work I suppose, still a bit on the small side? Would still look very cool with speeder bikes and Stormtroopers running around!:

I was just looking at the speeder bike and stormtroopers. They might would be a wee bit small, but I think it could be close enough. Probably the difference between something like 1/60 and 1/53 if even that much?

I found these
http://devan1.tripod.com/Pics/At-st.JPG
http://www.cardtastic.com.au/images/un33.jpg

Thanks Spud :) yeah the net was a bit tricky, if I was to do it again I'd just paint the whole bottom part of 3po black and fill in the gold. Blakeh1 I think it would be worth a shot, the figures are very well cast and if your not happy with the scale against the At St you could just display them on there own nicely. ;D

The finished figure looks great, merseajohn. Good, clean paintwork.
I've got one question, if you don't mind, should C3PO's eyes be white?
Also, if you could find Leia ,Lando, and R2D2 to go with Chewie?..It would make a cool
Cloud City diorama. You know..chasing after Bobo Fett and a Carbonated Han.
Just an idea. Congrats! Bill

Thanks for the advice on the eyes Panzerman, your right I should of done them white. I'll revisit it in time. There isn't a leia in bespin gear to my knowledge but there are stormtroopers and a nice looking Fett (all though he is standing on a rock...).

Huh...I just thought they eyes were dark because Chewie turned off Threepio's power

Nah 3P0's on energizer:
vlcsnap-2012-03-15-16h13m17s245.png

Now looking at it some pigments around the neck and a blast mark's in order!

Great work as usual John, you've really got the hang of these really small scale kits

Latest posts

Back