McQuarrie Concept Scratch Build

dbhs

Here's a scratch build I've been working on for a few months. I was inspired by this McQuarrie concept design for the original Cylon Raider and wanted to do a build of it. It is in 1/35th scale to match the scale of the Studio Raider.

Here's the link to my build diary: http://www.hanshortes.com/dbhsmodeler/ConceptRaiderdiary.htm.

And here is the concept sketch and some current pics. Thanks for looking.

-Doug

ConceptRaider-1.JPG

ConceptRaider-56.JPG

ConceptRaider-60.JPG

Excuse me... can someone help me find my jaw?

It bounced away somewhere when it hit the floor looking at this model.

Wowsers!

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've been working on the engine details.

ConceptRaider-62.JPG

The engine parts are mostly parts from pens and markers that I cut up. The smaller clear parts are the left overs from the pens I used for the guns on the bottom side. The black parts are from some cut up giant permanent markers. I was just going to use them for the engine bells but the body of the marked worked perfectly for the rest of the engine as well. I capped off the ends with white styrene. The cone shaped part with ridges in the middle of the larger engines was an insert inside the cap of the markers.

For the larger thickness of brass i've been bending them around a nail I pounded into the workbench. The bent pieces are all solid brass, the tubes just bend at a point. Getting the bend to happen in the right spot is really tricky for me so i just make either end a bit long and then cut it down to the right length. For the smaller brass wires, I'm just bending these with needle nose pliers.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Here's a picture of the jumbo markers I cut up for the engine parts - one that survived ;-).

ConceptRaider-63.JPG

Very cool.

Ever catch yourself in a Dollar Store with some model part in one hand and a bunch of pens in the other, trying to find just the right one? I love bashing everyday stuff for models.

That's fun and I also love when you're studying a movie model and you suddenly recognize a part of a German tank or a Corvette wheel hub as a greebly or kibble on the side of a space ship. I did some work a few years back and the guy I worked for had a photo of the model shop at ILM. They had a rod or wire strung across a wall maybe 30 feet long and on it were hundred and hundreds of sprues from kits of all kinds. Gerry Anderson's crew went through literally dozens of 1/48th scale B-58 Hustlers from Monogram and old Revelle Drakens. It's fun.

Thanks guys. I've been primering, puttying and sanding the bottom to get ready for painting. I've also been making molds for some greeblies to add to the engine area. Nothing worth photographing but hope to have an update later this week... maybe after some greeblies are cast up.

Hey guys !!

I'm framing out the windows with tiny 1/16" 'C' channel and then gluing the frames together in place. The windows are clear acetate and the styrene solvent works to glue the frames on.
ConceptRaider-64.JPG

The canopy will be a separate piece until after the whole thing is painted up.
ConceptRaider-65.JPG

ConceptRaider-66.JPG

ConceptRaider-67.JPG

The bottom is in the putty-sand-primer-repeat phase but getting close to ready for greeblies.
ConceptRaider-68.JPG

Primer on the engines.
ConceptRaider-69.JPG

ConceptRaider-70.JPG

Latest posts

Back