M4A3 sherman, out of the box(s), sort of

Jeep

While I am still working on my T62 build I needed to take a short break and was inspired by the The tail of three shermans thread to dig into the stash and quickly knock out a sherman build. The problem is I cannibalized both a Tamiya M4 (early) and a Tamiya (m4A3 kit for other projects, (the Shervick dozer build and a (now destroyed) logging skyline based on a sherman chassis. Anyway, I dug out the two partial kits, and my bitz and spared box and knocked this build out in the last two days, as always I have a selection of references in book and computer form and I am lucky enough to have two actual sherman tanks to look at with in 2 miles of my home. (those of you working on shermans yourself, keep that in mind, its a bike ride away to go take a image of some widget for you)

I just applied some Mr. surfacer 1000 in prep for finishing. Here is the current progress.

Hey JEEP!

Looks great and all ready for paint! I wish I could knock out a build in two days. ::)

I'll be keeping an eye on this to see how you wrap this little project up. ;D

BTW what type of Shermans do you have in your neighborhood, M4A3s?, E8?, HVSS vs.VVSS, 75mm Vs. 76mm...that sort of thing.

Keep up the good work Man! :D

The first Sherman is a M4A3 dry with VVSS and a 75mm the second is a M4A3E8 with HVSS and a 76mm

I laid down some model flex medium green as a base coat, but my air brush compressor does not seem to be building pressure, seems that I have a leak near the pressure solenoid, I tried tightening it up but it did not help much. Oh well, out comes the LOUD compressor.

I laid cloud pattern or model flex Olive green over the earlier medium green to accent the pannels and a little pre shading.

worked at it a little more tonight, completed several layers of oil paint filters and washes, then applied some MIG faded olive drab pigments to tie it all in.

I broke open a AK interactive heavy mud weathering set, I picked this up at cold wars, gaming convention a few months ago, I like the product since so far, this is the first time I have used it, but I am no stranger to pigments. I also rubbed some graphite pencil lead powder on the .50cal, and started to pick out the wooden tool handles with oil paint.

Nice work mate, she even looks cool for a Sherman ;D

Nice paintwork and weathering looks good as well!
pitty last shots are a bit blurry though ^^

Cheers

Latest posts

Back