M3A1 finished

Aaron1883

So this is my first attempt at fully weathering a AFV. I tried a little bit of everything just to see how it turned out and what really worked together and what didn't.
1. I did an overall dark wash with some black oil paint diluted with turpentine (inside and out).
2. Added some of Ak's engine oil to around the gas ports.(I think they just watered down some regular oil for this wash)
3. Used white glue and brown pastel for a caked on dirt effect.
4.Dusted the model with the same color brown.
5. And I forgot that I wanted to ad some chipping to the model and added it last, which I knew that i would look a bit odd but i wanted to try and get the black to steel ratio down.

I've also weathered the tracks but I need to find my stapler to get the connected first so those pic's will be on later.
IMG_0150.jpg
IMG_0143.jpg

Black is prob a bit harsh next time try raw umber, never used pastels but no reason brown won't work, oil is the last step!

But it does look pretty good saying that

Aaron1883 said:
2. Added some of Ak's engine oil to around the gas ports.(I think they just watered down some regular oil for this wash)

Nah it's not quite that simple, especially considering oil and water don't mix. lol ;D

Plus, it dries to a glossy finish to give it that 'wet look' of fresh oil.

Here are some additional photo's. For some reason last night they were showing up sideways and stretched.

IMG_0149.jpg
IMG_0148.jpg
IMG_0145.jpg
IMG_0146.jpg

Well I didn't exactly mean watered, lol I know oil and water are not friends. When I first opened it the smell was just hit me and after the oil change I did earlier that day they smelled quite similar.

AARON ,

One good way to speed th process of th Oils is to put a lil' dab on a piece of corrugated Cardboard & let it sit there for 20-30 minutes. It'll leach out th Lint Seed Oil & help in two ways - 1) less Lint Seed oil -faster drying time , 2) it cuts down on th sheen ( of th Lint Seed Oil) after Oil paint dries. But it will take up to 4 days to throughly cure, & it's not like Enamel or Acrylic - there's nothing really you can do to speed th dring time except put it on some Cardboard. ... Drying Time - It's Achilles Heel !

like the hole model but i love the colours in interior the most not over done which i can get carried away with 10/10

geegad

Thanks everyone for the responces! I love looking at other peoples progress and works but at the same time its my hold back. Everyone does such nice work that I tend to over think how im going to paint and weather a model. But as you can see with this first time weathered boy I just poushed through and it turned out better than I thought, So thanks again all and tips and tricks.

Latest posts

Back