Lunar Prospector

nnygamer

The time: 2099
The place: the moon
The vehicle: 1999 Ford SVT F-150 Lightning
The mission: Prospecting for lunar riches

I usually don't build vehicles unless they are special of unique. When I was given this kit with all the parts off the sprue I didn't really have an idea as to what to do with it. I had gotten an idea eventually but never got around to doing anything. When the contest started I figured it would be a good use for the kit and to get back into building again.
Other than the kit I will have to scratch build a lot of other things. The base is an old deep picture frame that will have a sculpted lunar surface, I hope I can pull that off. I will have to make an astronaut and much of the truck interiors. No need for an engine, that will be the main tanks and control. The outside of the truck should look untouched except for the wheels and the crane on top.

The authentication picture: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/nnyamer/Other%20Sci%20FI/2099%20Ford%20Prospector/2099ford001.jpg

Now I gotta save my F-150 until 2099? I hope it will fit in the yard until then. Cooooool.

I'll tell you the frame on this model sucks, there are dimples all over it. I know it won't be seen but I'm filling in the ugly things anyway. On to one of the modifications that make the truck into a space truck, the wheel RCT/ landing pods. I used the spare tire cover as a base for the design, an eyeball from a stuffed animal to fill the center and styrene/putty for the engine pods. I need to make or buy a dozen thruster nozzles to get the overall effect. The bottom center will have a small landing strut for the truck to rest on when being loaded/unloaded. This is a master that cast the final versions from.

[attachment deleted by admin]

My biggest dilemma right now about it is the paint scheme. I'm not sure what color I what the truck to be. I'd like to have the front/back done in the black/yellow warning stripes but not sure the final color for the body. Nothing dark as it will be in space.

I will also have few weeks I won't be able to work on it next month, I finally got word as to when I go back to the hospital for a final reconstructive surgery.

I haven't forgotten, I just got sidetracked again. I was supposed to have more surgery on the 16th but my blood pressure was too high. The meds I'm on have already helped but I get checked again on the 4th. So today I ordered a resin casting kit, it's not easy finding a place that takes paypal. It should be here next week. I have done some work on the kit, the driver door has been remove, the frame is all filled and sanded and I found a ball the right size for the astronauts head. I scavenged some fuel tanks out of my 1/35 Apollo capsule (it needs repair, I'm gonna make it so the interior isn't showing anyway) and found my fine wire for all the piping I need to do.

No I didn't forget about this and no I haven't finished yet. I'm best under pressure so I'm making the push to get it done now. I was sidelined last week by a minor sprained ankle and some wrist troubles not to mention other things that have gone wonky over the past 3 months. I was expecting a hospital stay last month but that was postponed because my blood pressure was too high, maybe in July it will finally get done. I also need to see a Nefrologist (kidney doctor) as my kidney functions are a bit low but all other (liver, thyroid, cholesterol, sugars are hunky dory).
I'm mostly better now and cast the parts I needed for the wheel /reactor units and will be getting the astronaut underway tonight. Yeah sculpting an astronaut in a night sounds ridiculous but why not. If you saw what I have done you'd probably say he hasn't any chance of finishing. My first time casting anything in about 20 years and back then I only did it a few times. All I can think of is this song: http://youtu.be/a01QQZyl-_I

Quite a bit done today but no pictures yet. I also forgot I'll be gone almost all day Saturday to my great nephews christening. A 4 hour trip each way plus party time. I hope to get my entry in just before the deadline.

I'll try for some pictures later.

It's not going to get done. Oo many setbacks in both the model and my health right now. I have most of the sub assemblies painted but a few things yet to be done. I have the base finished so I can show that!

2099ford003.jpg

Latest posts

Back