Longnose Merc

WOW!! Thats a lot of chopping there Farmboy :eek: Are you going to section the roof to keep the shape of the front pillars ?

Chris.

I only ask because .....if you chop the roof and drop it straight down the front pillars wont line up ,if you move the roof forward to meet the 'A' pillars then the 'B' pillars and rear quarter wont line up ,thats why you normally have to section a roof like that to keep the angles ..or add more of a rake to the front and rear screens . Which way are you going with it ? ...just interested ;)

Chris.

I understand. The only adjustment(s) required after the chop are the b & c pillars....and these are separate from the roof, which is why the extended cut along the drip rail. Anyway, I couldn't wait, did the chop. Here's the result with no adhesive other than to tack the sideframe (b/c pillars) to the body for the shot. Everything else is just sitting there. Messy right now but it'll clean up pretty easy Note also there is a small corner taken out of the rear window piece to allow the angle. The pieces removed are sitting by the car.
ajlDKKQvfHVGsVLmvCNoWTie63oofkKu.jpg

OiW0EfFIMHjMKaDDlQ9ejoqVjNCes3f0.jpg

tGLlVsqQToo2E3agBiOVBtakeQr2PemW.jpg

comments and suggestions welcome

Ii see ..D'oh ::) Im with you now ,thats a clever way of doing it ! are you going to remove the drip rail or tidy it up ??

Chris.

I'm actually planning on keeping the driprail. If it's too much hassle to reconstitute the original, I'll simply file it flush and add my own styrene strip driprail.

Thanx for the comments/questions guys. The chop 'technique' is one I read a long time ago (Car Model? Model Car Science?). I'm sure there's an article on it somewhere. I do have a merc body left. Once I"m done this build if anyone was interested I could attempt showing the chop step by step as I would do it.

Just about done with the bodywork. Minor finish sanding to do. A couple of progress pics.
This is the chop
Ls1oaUh6o6JCGOT0cAl2Gw4pWOuiK8jv.jpg

...and under the hood. Note there are a couple of lines near the headlight area that need removing. I also plan to carve out the rearmost battery and hopefully put in a transmission cooler.
HDBe2j0F1EN16rT1Akv2KFQUoEWG5QLt.jpg

comments and suggestions welcome.

Looks like you nailed the chop ! great job :)

Chris.

Bodywork's done. On to the frame/suspension/engine(s) assembly
bd9f94L7lvjPVwhbeVnADwB70DcuJTOg.jpg

Comments and observations welcome.

Body looks good buddy :) it tidied up nicely .Any thoughts on colour yet ?

Chris.

I'm thinking gangsta (flat) black with a minimum of chrome accents. I've been reading up on Real fire or True fire....and thinking of doing the very front of the nose/fenders just to see if I can do it. I've saved a few templates, it would be interesting if it worked out.

That sounds neat :) I've been looking at that myself ,but havent got round to trying it yet ...maybe soon :).

Chris.

Finally got time to sit down for a few sessions. Not a whole lot of progress, but pics none the less.

Here's the frame finished and the wheels aligned and cemented in place. I went with the full chrome/moon wheel assemblies.
Kp76hfmLDSiV9Ac5iHir6Ot1ueJb5Ld2.jpg

...and a couple with the engine block mockups. The driveshaft is to assure correct placement of the rearmost engine as this will dictate the width of the torque converter can on the front engine. Only the front engine has a fan/rad, the rear will have the cooling hoses merged with the front ones.
J3j3WTCJnndsoMNEbKr0i6WfaPhtFNNm.jpg

another view
t0Gu7p5vdDQipqIG2kvG84t3vnHOkLRF.jpg

...and with the body fitted
MRgdU8n8MEEU5fMK9Wf0PAfUiw2RuuTK.jpg

I think I've decided on this being its display pose...the propped hood balances it out. I'll find a broach pin or some type of assembly at a craft shop that will pivot down so the hood can also sit flat. I'm not bothering to hinge it.
J0mpcQNssNwhfqcoWVM31g5nFgs9ohVp.jpg

comments and observations welcome.

Here's another view with the hood propped with the driveshaft for the mockup.
g914SJ7JH3OaOOM5wugT82EwaDrOa5KW.jpg

Really taking shape now buddy :) I like the shape of it ,and I think the bonnet/hood up would be the best way to display it ...you dont want to hide all that hard work in the engine bay ....great stuff ;)

Chris.

:) ... Greetings ... :) :
That is absolutely one too watch, very good. You can rest assured I will be keeping an eye on this, thank you for the sharing of this project.

:)

Got her wearing her first coat of color -- or lack of it -- and seeing it's changed my thinking a bit. I'm thinking the window/roof/trunk areas in a dark green or graphite as a quiet two tone and possibly adding a couple of additional chrome accents. Might even put side pipes along the rockers. Maybe.
c0AtakRjjAMT3h6IJhmckUgqtdWqws7e.jpg

mFgQ14lhbdD5OVuGO6FEA9CvvqQqruHA.jpg

Comments/suggestions welcome

Latest posts

Back