Longnose Merc

I like the plan for the colours ! sounds very cool . Looks good with a coat on too ;)

Chris.

Been unable to progress with the build lately, but hopefully that's all past. I did finish sanding to the body beginning with a coat of Future applied over the black with a wide brush and let that dry. It's self levelling. I then used toothpaste -- not gel -- and lightly wet sanded with 600 grit. This sanding shows defects as shiny pock marks. I would find the odd small crater in the surface after the first wet sanding. A small dot of Future in the depression, let dry, a light wet sand (no toothpaste) to the area and it fills in great. Here's the pic ready for paint. She looks messy but it's as smooth as glass.The bodywork isn't perfect but it's as good as my skills allow right now. As for color, the top/trunk area will go a metal or graphite as previously planned. The body though is pretty big for just black. Thinking good ol' metallic red or metallic green.
iuCVEwwL1vW4hCcc7laKshcEq3Skmcm6.jpg

Comments & observations welcome

Just as long as it's not Thunderbirds Pink! LOL ;D

Very creative concept; some pipes under the rocker panels will really fill out the passenger area. Very exciting build!

I like the idea of the Green metallic ...that would look really rich !!!

Chris.

This thing is crazy cool. love the idea and how you are coming along, very artistic and you are a true artist.

The painting begins. This is what I'm using....waterbase craft paint. It shoots best for me in a single action airbrush, the double action has too narrow a spray and is a lot more work. It also requires a number of coats. Here it is with 12 (yes, 12) coats and it's not even as thick as a good coat of enamel. I"m going to rub it out with toothpaste and give it a few more. The neat thing about this stuff is after you've applied a coat, shoot the hairdryer at it and you're dry, ready for another coat in less than a minute! Minor dust specks are simply rubbed out with light finger pressure between coats. The top and trunk are going a silver/graphite color. Anyway, here are a couple of pics under different lighting conditions. Comments and suggestions welcome.
IgB5Lthvqa1hTeC43e4Rhb3mvCkMSguK.jpg

lBLqoPgFGn00q0VT9maVmPQ9nID6K7e0.jpg

I applied a coat of future and veryyyyyy lightly dry sanded any minute bumps/dust bits in the finish and laid down another dozen or so coats, but this time I darkened the color with metallic sequin black. The new color started to cover after about 4-6 coats. I'm much more satisfied with the darker green. I'll let it cure for a couple of days (but where it's water base craft paint I don't know if this is necessary) and then shoot it with Future for a barrier coat and then a couple of wet coats of clear. The top is going to be an enamel and either graphite or steel-type shade covering the top and trunk. Comments and observations welcome.
oisWH7Fv9OdvbhsQNNKRoGnEGR9Erv5o.jpg

...a little more champagne than I wanted but I can live with it. Over did it a bit with the bronze t the silver. A couple more clear coats, a small amount of BMF and its on to the engines and interior. Comments and suggestions welcome
Cc0ia8omadHBwf6oAtWGbmCQKIHrVdFI.jpg

wbO7nHrnU1Rr0cqqTlbd8nieV1vjEPLV.jpg

...no, I can't live with it!...it looked like a Christmas ornament! lol!! I darkened the color a bit and re-shot. This is what I ended up with, I think a much better match
oQ8FaRWlrV8eEGedH7Vpp6Fr9se2mwr0.jpg

HDj9Tq83pmqhHgJ19bE9fLbvA0FhQE4C.jpg

I noticed a glitch in an A pillar that wasn't obvious till the clearcoat. Par for the course. My solution is a metal sun visor. It will certainly fit the era. The visor is at the bottom of the photo, from an AMT Cameo, it'll be modified a bit. The strip is for trimwork on it while the piece above offer me options for attachement. I'll post the work as I go.
s7HnLRhDochcuKh5hVOPNfCATGeIQCFk.jpg

I found some mercs had a bright strip following the topmost body line. I decided to duplicate this using .025 styrene rod. I put a slight bend in the rod to better follow the body contour then touched the rod with a brush dipped in Future letting capillary action pull it into the joint. Should be strong when it dries. I'll BMF it after.
tc2or3sjCGuIqGUE2qbutpquAK9ncfDn.jpg

comments and observations welcome.

I turned my attention to the sunvisor. The one from the Cameo I didn't think was quite big enough so I made my own based on it. It's made from .025 rod and thin sheet styrene. Liquid cement really works with this stuff. The arc piece is strictly decorative. Its messy right now but cleanup is coming. I"m thinking of black for the finish. I don't seem to be able to find any that are body color. Comments/observations welcome.
ort81K5jmV0REPEBtcp899B95SlDuhJl.jpg

DJC12lg4RvJGdOfedra22S8N8tOhF4kC.jpg

This is looking pretty damn good. Keep up the good work. One question tho...I've never heard of buffing out paint with toothpaste. Does that work really good?

Captain, I'm not going to say it's equivalent to buffing compound...but it's a lot more forgivable! Toothpaste is a super mild abrasive, gel isn't. I lightly wet sand the area first with 400 or 600 paper then smear a small amount of toothpaste with a few drops of water over the same area. Rub with either a cloth pulled over your finger, or again, rub with a fine grade (600) of sandpaper and water. Rinse and feel the difference. When I`m satisfied I apply my next or final coats. Works for me.

Just having a catch up and checked out the LN Merc tonight. Looks awesome Farmboy! The body paint looks super sharp!

Not a lot of progress. Getting the engines to line up and sit level at proper spacing so everything fits. The blocks are dark green as were the 1:1's, heads were BMF'd, manifolds are primer grey. I decided on red for the converter cover, think it looks ok. This is a mockup shot. Nothing glued but the engine blocks. Wiring, hoses, carbs and linkages next. Comments and observations welcome.
EGfQpqPvI11js4WCO3hvQG8pJnqskqA1.jpg

KNN2gQrQ6kWLicTvFalA8UfKhWid67WN.jpg

:eek: WOW!! :eek:

What ever happen with this gorgeous Beauty!!!

I am completely baffled, boggled, and mind blown over this one!!
Thank You for sharing farmboy
Got more?!?!?!?
Later
Russ
;D

Latest posts

Back