Lindberg 1:60 Shrimp Boat

Jdog71

Ni!
This one is going to be a Christmas gift for my parents, who live by the ocean. I know Lindberg has a rep for some 'chunky' details in their kits, but I think I can work with this one. Its going to be a 'working boat', so if I mess up somewhere along the line, it'll be pretty easy to disguise my errors...they'll give it some character. I'm going to try some custom stuff wherever I can, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated. One thing I'll be looking for is 1:60 scale shrimp netting, which might be hard to score.

IMG_9961Res.jpg

Box

IMG_9964small.jpg

12" hull. I dry fitted the hull halves and deck together and will need to do a bit of seam filling (as expected).

IMG_9963small.jpg

I did a very rough primer coat of light gray on sprue parts. There seemed to be a bit more grease than usual on this model, even after washing, so a base coat should help the paint stick.

This will be my first boat...if the stars and planets align correctly and I get a little lucky. If I screw up, at least I'll gain some experience, right?

Thats it for now...if anyone has some ideas for customizing this thing, they would be greatly appreciated!

Jdog71 said:
This one is going to be a Christmas gift for my parents, who live by the ocean. I know Lindberg has a rep for some 'chunky' details in their kits, but I think I can work with this one. Its going to be a 'working boat', so if I mess up somewhere along the line, it'll be pretty easy to disguise my errors...they'll give it some character. I'm going to try some custom stuff wherever I can, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated. One thing I'll be looking for is 1:60 scale shrimp netting, which might be hard to score.

Oh nice. I see this in a catalog from Squadron and always wondered about getting it. Gonna be great to see it built!

This is interesting. Character is the key word here. Has to be well weathered to give it that character. I think it would help if you used different materials and anything you could get your hands on like, wire, balsa wood, an alternador from a 34 Buick. ;D

Small update for today:

Since my first post, I assembled the hull, cleaned all the parts and rewashed them.
Most of the other parts had prominent seams. I spent a lot of time sanding, slicing and dicing. I also did some background research for weathering and customization ideas.

I primed and sprayed the hull flat white and flat brown mixed with a small amount of dark gray (all Tamiya acrylics). I'll need to do a little touchup work on the brown, but nothing major. Next up is a red stripe on the rails.

sIMG_0005.jpg

Tonight I did a rough base coat on misc. parts (Tamiya acrylics)

sIMG_0012.jpg

sIMG_0013.jpg

I was surprised at the level of detail on the crew. I had to putty out some ejector pin marks on their backs, but I look forward to painting these guys. The captain is wearing a Gorton's Fisherman hat...nice.

sIMG_0018.jpg

That's it for now. Next update should have a lot more as I intend to do a lot of work this weekend.

Latest posts

Back