Kicking tires…

Biskup

So could any one explain to me the whole ting about kicking tires and burning fires?
I’m just not getting/ understanding it.
Cheers

It's a pilot thing, 'kick the tires' is like the pre-flight landing gear check, 'light the fires' is the afterburners to leave in a hurry.

Here's some definitions:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/kick_the_tires_and_light_the_fires

at bottom of page:

http://cnc.wikia.com/wiki/F-11X_Apollo_Fighter

It's "Kick the Tires and Light the Fires" quote is also used in real life military for drastically shortening the pre-flight checks, basically meaning "check the landing gear and light the afterburners!"

Scroll down to 'K'

http://www.tailhook.org/AVSLANG.htm

“Let’s get this aircraft preflighted and outta here pronto!”

Like Harry Conick Jr. in Independence day...

Kick the Tires Light the Fires

Biskup said:
So could any one explain to me the whole ting about kicking tires and burning fires?
I’m just not getting/ understanding it.
Cheers

Kicking tires = checking tire air pressure. If your tire is round and your toe bounces off after a little kick, you're generally good. If your kick feels mushy, then you add air. Part of the pre flight check.

Lighting fires = just starting your engines for flight. (Not really afterburners)

So the phrase is slang for getting the pre flight checks done and starting the aircraft engines to get airborne.

it can also mean, kick the tires, pre flight check, landing gears, engine, prop ect. and light the fires! shoot them down in flames.

of course with dignity, you are given a license to kill, do it with dignity, at least thats what most pilots believed, some didn't like to follow those rules...

13aceofspades13 said:
it can also mean, kick the tires, pre flight check, landing gears, engine, prop ect. and light the fires! shoot them down in flames.

of course with dignity, you are given a license to kill, do it with dignity, at least thats what most pilots believed, some didn't like to follow those rules...

Nope, it just means doing the preflight and getting in the air. Nothing to do with fighting. (The afterburner thing is for jets on a quick take off, but most jets don't use AB on normal take off.)

While I agree with what the saying says, Kick the Tires refers to Pre-Flight Check, Light the Fires refers to engine start and take off.

I would have to disagree about most jets not taking off in afterburner.

If they have it, it usually gets used on takeoffs. Just because it isn't in a wartime situation, they normally do still take off in full afterburner.

Like their motto says, Train like you Fight, Fight like you Train

Gundamhead said:
13aceofspades13 said:

Nope, it just means doing the preflight and getting in the air. Nothing to do with fighting. (The afterburner thing is for jets on a quick take off, but most jets don't use AB on normal take off.)

well thats what i understood it as, and when i say it thats what i mean...

Ah, but not all jets have AB, and the whirly bird guys, and prop guys say the same thing. As for taking off in AB, not at a civie field, so not all the time.

Anyway it just means getting the bird in the air. 8)

Well no, obviously if the aircraft doesn't have AB, then they aren't going to use it, or helos and props....kind of a silly statement if you ask me.

As far as no allowed to us AB on a civilian runway? I have seen it done many, many, many times both in Canada and the US. I watched a B-1B leave the Halifax airport to go back home on full burner....you wanna talk loud!! But was awesome!!

hay your still lighting fires, pistons or terbines, a piston engine works buy a series of firey explosions pressing down the pistons, you gotta light them fires to get that engine turning!

who cares man, its still sweet, i don't think its silly to do with a piston airplane.

Latest posts

Back