Keeps getting shiny. Help!

todoink

Good day SMA, I'm trying to shed some light on my predicament when it comes to painting. Even if I use matte type paint, later on it will still get shiny. How can I achieve those no shine / light reflection at all paint finish? By the way, I'm using Mr. Hobby Aqueous water based acrylic. I paint my models directly - direct spray on plastic surface. No primer, base color, etc... Thanks!

Alclad makes a pretty nice spray-on matte coat for the airbrush.
Just have to use very light coats with it

I see. But unfortunately, my supplier doesn't have the aldad brand. I'm not sure if they can get one. But on the brighter side, they have other matte spray-ons as well as bottled matte coating as well. Will this help solve the problem? I mean using matte coating no matter what brand it is.

And last thing, do you think it will help if I primed my subject first with Mr. Surfacer? Thanks!

Experiment with the matte coats, but you should be fine.

No, I don't think primer would have helped with this one

you could try steal wool, it will discolor the paint, just a tad, but it will me nice, and have a matte finish

I find I was getting the same effect with Tamiya acrylics matt paints(when using a brush), but was very random. Sometimes would come out matt and others gloss. Except for when i spray then its always matt.

Dont use Tamiya to brush o. For some reason there not very good with a brush. But if you have no choice there is a product by Tamiya that you can mix with it and it will give you a flawless matt finish. I think its called "Tamiya Flat Base acrylic paint # X-21" Have a look about for it bud

pitstop25 said:
Dont use Tamiya to brush o. For some reason there not very good with a brush. But if you have no choice there is a product by Tamiya that you can mix with it and it will give you a flawless matt finish. I think its called "Tamiya Flat Base acrylic paint # X-21" Have a look about for it bud

Caution using this product. Do not use it straight from the bottle as it needs to be cut with another varnish/acrylic medium like Future.

Using this stuff straight from the bottle will leave you kit a white mess. As the name says, it is a Flat Base, or Flattening agent, meant to mix in small quantities with other paint so make them flat, not to be used on it's own.

Tamiya can be painted with a brush but you need to add some Vallejo retarder to it.

Latest posts

Back