Keaton Era Batmobile

Quaralane

Next up on the bench is kind of a tuneup for a more ambitious build.
Going to be working on the Keaton Era Batmobile, using the kit that was released as a tie-in to Batman Returns.

Box art:
amt-keaton-batmobile-00.jpg

Youtube link:
Keaton Era Batmobile-Part 1-OOB

Looking forward to this one! I've always liked the look of the Batmobiles.

Hey Q , Cool project , Look forward to seeing it come together ,Like you say ,I wouldnt worry about suspension you cant see any of it .

Nice vid ;)

Chris.

Some issues if you haven't built the "Returns" version before -

The Keatonmobile is actually more of a satin/semigloss/eggshell black, not high gloss or strict flat - somewhere in between.

If you're going to put the engine in the body you don't need to replace the front axle. AMT took it out and added two plastic front axles when they redesigned the kit to add the engine piece.

Wheel chrome should actually be stripped and done in a dark patina'd brass effect - gold with a coating of Tamiya Clear Smoke over them. Nose cone and other body parts - vents, injectors, rear nozzles, gas caps - should all just be the body color with dark steel washes to bring the detail back out.

Thanks for the tips about the axle, Ziz. I was unaware of the change.

The chrome has been stripped, pics to come.

And I'm likely going to put my own spin on the paint for this, rather than the classic black

I was wondering if this would be in the automotive or sci-fi forums, now i've found it. ;)

Good luck mate looking forwards to more vids.

TTFN Matt

Thanks, Matt,

Started actual work on the Batmobile.
I stripped off all of the chrome by soaking the parts in Simple Green for about 24 hours.

Started basic assembly on the body and motor
amt-keaton-batmobile-01.jpg
amt-keaton-batmobile-02.jpg

Youtube link:
Keaton Era Batmobile-Part 2

Playing a little catch up here Q!! Nice job so far! Gonna buid up great!!! I'll be hanging around!! ;)

That's weird. I thought the chrome parts would have been shot in black plastic the same as the rest of the kit for expediency.

Thanks, guys

@Ziz,
yeah, I though that was a little funky as well, But it's my understanding that they shoot chrome with whatever they have handy at the time..

A household cleaning product like Fantastik or 409 but environmentally friendly.

I recently finished mine- it was the original kit released right after the film- mine did not have the turbine.

A little tip, I need to take a pic of this... the canopy top- I wanted to be able to open this a bit realistically so I cut a slot in the body 1 1/4 inch long on the top of the seam - I also had to grove a slot into the dash top about an 1/8 of an inch long, but that cut was an adjustment forewarned you may not have to cut this that deep if you try this.

Flipped the canopy top over and scored a grove in the frame between the two windows, then glued the pointed end and the spring loop of a safety pin into that grove, the loop points to the rear or the kit and the pins length was adjusted so the top of the loop was about 3/16 ths below the bottom edge of the canopy.

This gave a near perfect guide to slide the top open and still kept it secure, there are no guides added to the side, but the body shapes suprizingly helped hold it all straight- not a perfect solution but after a gloss black coat it works.

Nice start Q , really looking forward to seeing this one come together ;)

Chris.

Interesting suggestion, Krypto.
Probably won't tackle it on this one, though.

Thanks, Chris

You may not have the room with the turbine- i wanted to open the top because i really dogged that cockpit- just me and my beloved #11 and razor saw.

Latest posts

Back