Is it laziness or just freedom from technology ...

mr lucky

I've all but given up on Facebook and Instagram, I won't rant on about those here, but I am happy this place is still around :) . Anyways, because I'm not using FB and IG I'm finding that I'm not holding my phone so much, which is good. I'm also reading a lot more, which is really good, and I'm actually building and making art a lot more which is great! But having said that I'm also not taking pictures of everything I'm working on, this nagging feeling of having to "share" everything is fading away. Which also means my posts here have been slow. But, I remember life as a kid in the 70s and 80s, even a young adult in the 90s, we never had a need or desire to share everything. We just did stuff. We made stuff, painted stuff, drew things, took pictures of things (on film) and we did it because we wanted to, because it was fun. Even in my not so young age I fell victim to the social media machine when it came to sharing the art I was doing, making art to the whims of the audience. I don't know ... I miss who we were as a society before all this technology came along, before social media, algorithms, and AI dictated so much of what we see and do. So, I'm not sure if the lack of documenting my life now is laziness or just breaking loose from technology, but it does feel good. I'll eventually pick up my phone, or even better a camera, and get some photos taken of my current projects and get them out here, it just might be a while.
... erik

For what it's worth , I don't have any expectations of you , ;) .
I've never used faceboob or the others . This is it .
Plus , I actually hate cellphones for internet browsing . I only use it for text and voice calls .The screen is too small and the keyboard too tiny .

I use a camera on a tripod to make it easy to snap pix during a build and upload when I get to whenever .

I guess my "posting my art" stems from my Art School days.. I have a BFA in Metalsmithing, and also had plenty of painting and sculpture classes

Of course all that meant lots of "critiques" which was basically you displaying your work for the class while they give advice on how you could improve, or what they liked about it etc...

So in a way, sites like this are an extension of that. I display my work and can get a feel for what might be working and what might not be working. I also love being able to get advice from others when asking. It helps me improve and also drives me to try stuff I might not normally do if it was just me doing it in a void if you will

It is just nice to be part of a group that has the same interests

I also find it inspiring when I see others do really cool stuff.
So many of my purchases have come after seeing someone else do a great build of something that makes me want to try it as well

Whenever I need motivation, just start browsing some modeling sites

I no longer work in an art related field. I used to be a bench jeweler for many years, but after getting married and buying a house I needed a better income stream. I wound up picking up computer stuff, taught myself how to program and have been doing programming ever since

I still like/need that artistic outlet though, so modeling fills that gap

I've all but given up on Facebook and Instagram, I won't rant on about those here, but I am happy this place is still around :) . Anyways, because I'm not using FB and IG I'm finding that I'm not holding my phone so much, which is good. I'm also reading a lot more, which is really good, and I'm actually building and making art a lot more which is great! But having said that I'm also not taking pictures of everything I'm working on, this nagging feeling of having to "share" everything is fading away. Which also means my posts here have been slow. But, I remember life as a kid in the 70s and 80s, even a young adult in the 90s, we never had a need or desire to share everything. We just did stuff. We made stuff, painted stuff, drew things, took pictures of things (on film) and we did it because we wanted to, because it was fun. Even in my not so young age I fell victim to the social media machine when it came to sharing the art I was doing, making art to the whims of the audience. I don't know ... I miss who we were as a society before all this technology came along, before social media, algorithms, and AI dictated so much of what we see and do. So, I'm not sure if the lack of documenting my life now is laziness or just breaking loose from technology, but it does feel good. I'll eventually pick up my phone, or even better a camera, and get some photos taken of my current projects and get them out here, it just might be a while.
... erik

Well, you nailed it, Lucky! I've never done either and I only use a flip phone that gets turned off when I get home. I don't text either, call me or forget. I'll check the phone every now and again, but most people know to call the house phone.

You have rediscovered the freedom of not having a "leash"! Yes, life is good without those distractions. I learned long ago to observe the masses and do the opposite. I hate herd mentality and I've never been a groupy, so I'm not missing a dang thang, HA! This, IMHO, allows the creativity to flow freely in this hobby, and that's a really good thing.

Enjoy the peace and quiet while you're "sniffin paint and gluin them fingers together."

... erik
Nope! Not laziness. I take pictures of just about anything interesting but I don't always share it with the whole world. Only the things that I think that they'll be interested in. Otherwise I don't care. It's also the reason why I don't have a lot of content on those sites although I too am a member of each - just not twitturd. If I wanted everything known to everyone I would put cameras everywhere and set up a live feed! Don't feel bad. Back in the day we didn't have the whole world watching our every move as they do now. So enjoy what you do and don't worry about photographing everything you own.

I have a flip phone. My young students tease me about it. My teenage daughter begs for a smartphone. I don't like having 5G moving into town to vibrate our cells at a microscopic level just so that people can watch YouTube on their phone anywhere they want.

Yes, having a GPS map in my hand would be rather convenient. That's all I'd want. Or that one app that can identify songs playing when you are out or wherever. But I do not like what smartphones are doing to people's minds. I'm 46, and sometimes talking with people---particularly younger people--- can be frustrating when they are stroking their phone like Gollum and his precious Ring. I may ask, "Are you listening to me?" It's stupid. Smartphones are killing people's brains.

The last time I took a picture of food at a restaurant was when I was in Australia 3 years ago, because I had use for a picture of what eating a steak abroad looks like. I am not on FB or IG, and I was permanently suspended from Twitter early last year. I do upload model builds to YouTube and Odysee. It's out of an appreciation of the hobby rather than "hey look at me I want people to pay attention to me." If that was the case, I'd be building the latest and greatest, most popular models rather than obscure, niche kits. I've made some good friends in the process. I think I will start building more kits without documenting the build more often, though.

Latest posts

Back