I HATE gloss white!!!

adampolo13

Its official, I HATE painting gloss white. It doesn't matter if i lay it down with my AB or if I brush paint it. I can never get it to dry in place. I have tried both enamal and acrylic over primer and not over primer. Nothing works. Please help! Ahhhh

Not sure if it would look the same but, how about a flat white and then using a nice smooth gloss coat over that?

JMac said:
Not sure if it would look the same but, how about a flat white and then using a nice smooth gloss coat over that?

That's what I was going to suggest. Should be just the trick you need.

You figure the primer would give the surface enough tooth for the gloss to stick too. I'm guessing here but it sounds as if the gloss is too watery, or it's thinned too far. Again, just a guess.

Yes it sounds like it is too thin, ALSO one major thing to remember is You can not change/apply a color with only one coat and something like white will take quite a few coats, and must be done slowly with a lower pressure.

James

JMac said:

This is the best advice, I hate gloss white myself.

I too have stuggled with gloss white. Use flat and then a gloss coat. You'll never go back.

I too am a flat white/gloss coat practitioner; however, Mr. Phil Flory over at Flory models sprays gloss white straight out of the bottle at high pressure and get it taken care of in one coat. Never tried it but if you are up for experimentation.

Several thin coats usually works. Try running your compressor's air pressure on the low side (10-15 psi).

I used to hate painting gloss in general. The flat base / gloss clear works great, but I recently started using Tamiya Paint Retarder.

I thin the gloss paint down to a milky consistency with 99% IPA then add about 4 or 5 drops of the retarder (depending on the volume I'm painting). It really helps the paint settle down into a nice smooth glossy finish.

I just tried the gloss white over flat white routine and I have to agree it helped the gloss lay down nice and even. Good tip for future applications.

Latest posts

Back