I hate e-bay because...

TiM

I joined the forum to have a go at something new in a group build...

but then I started looking for things to go with my little Humvee...

then typed Tamiya into the search box...

and now have 3 more models that were such 'bargains' that I couldn't resist.
;D

so I hate e-bay for being so tempting... I'm weak. :-[

That's why some of us refer to it as "evil-bay", lol. And I feel your pain. I used to have between 10 and 15 kits in my stash, after I found evil-bay that stash jumped to around 500! Now, in order to control the urge to snap up all those bargains, I find it easier to just go to an online shop and order only what I need. That is, if my LHS doesn't have/can't get what I need.

i really dont use ebay, i dont have a stash either XD, i build everything i get XD

I already have a mountain of Warhammer 40k stuff from a few years ago... enough that at the rate I paint I will be 90yrs old before I see the bottom of it. ;D

I am determined to finish my group build entry before starting these latest acquisitions though, otherwise I'll have lots of unpainted stuff lying around again...

Man....when I first found ebay in 99 I went nuts....bid on multiple auctions of the same kit...won multiple...it wasn't good.....

ebay is eveil like that, i sopent a fortune there before but learnt my lesson, buy what i need not what i dont.. that dont relate to models tough ;D

Yeah, ditto.....discovered Ebay, and my stash exploded. Opened ECH and it exploded again.

I don't buy much on Ebay anymore fortunately. I still look every now and then though.

yea there is defo bargins to be had on there and its also a great place to get rid of stuff ya dont need and make a few quid off of.

Ebay is alright. You can probably get some better deals than Ebay alone, so shop around. Remember, the shipping you pay on Ebay is not 'free' cause you found the kit at a bargain. Don't be one of the dopes who go, "The hobby shop had the kit for $34.00 but I got mine on Ebay for $24.00 plus $14.00 shipping! I saved $10.00!" ;)

That's why I wait until a show is close by and by from the club tables or vendors.

My watch list on ebay gets way out of hand ....but I've learned to just look and not buy.....much :D I prefer to sell there, but the past few years have been very slow for selling built models.

Hello everyone, I am ashamed to admit but I have an addiction...

And addiction to Ebay, my problem started back in 2004 when I first found out about ebay. I couldn't help myself, it went from just buying that rare Japanese robot to a few years ago buying household items like light bulbs and other such goods.

I was free of my addiction to ebay for about two years.

I came here for help with a different addiction, building little plastic models, and came back to my addiction. I am here to confess to a weakness in the buy it now button. I just can't resist it.

There's a lot of ways to get stuff cheap on eBay. The main trick is to be patient. Don't jump at the first one you find, especially if a bunch come upon the search. Scan thru the listings, factor in shipping costs - especially since that's become how a lot of sellers make their real money now - and wait for the right deal. Do a "completed auctions" search - see what they're actually selling for vs what the starting bids are of the unsold auctions. Also look at how many sold vs how many didn't. That will give you a gauge of how popular the item is and how hard it is to find.

Look at the wording on the auction. If it says something like "Star Trek Saurian Brandy Bottle!!!" then they know what they've got and are trying to take advantage of it. Look for the ones that sound like they're from people clearing out their attic/basement or trying to liquidate a bunch of stuff they came across that they have no vested interest in.

Look at the category and sub-categories the item is listed in. A lot of people go to eBay's front page and start filtering their way thru the categories - WRONG. Do a direct search for it with words you know should be in the listing title. I got a TMP Smoothie for $2.00 at a time when they were going for $200.00 because the seller listed it under "Toys>Vintage" rather than "Models>Star Trek". Also try variations on the search terms. At one point I was looking for the Screamin' Products 1/4 scale Star Wars vinyl figures. I found the same kit on different searches for "Star Wars model", "Star Wars figure kit", "Star Wars Screamin" "Screamin kit", "Screamin model" and Star Wars Screaming" - the last one being because the seller didn't understand that the company name was purposely spelled without the g and corrected the spelling on their listing.

Also pay attention to when the auction ends. Look for auctions that are ending at weird hours - middle of the night in the middle of the week or happen to land on a holiday. That means that most of the people who want it won't be awake at 3AM on a Wednesday to snipe for it or will be busy with other things when the auction ends.

You must be a power seller Ziz....or power buyer ;D

The best advice and 100% correct. My missus has an online business ( Ebay) and that is exactly what one should do to find the best deals. You'd be surprised at how people will misspell a word and wonder why the item does not sell.....a buyers luck.

Another important thing when buying, check the sellers feedback rating and the feedback.
Also look for combined shipping, this will most times save you a lot when buying multiple items

And one more thing that Ziz missed, never ever buy an item on a Sunday. That is when most people bid, and prices are higher then.

I have sold about 300 items on ebay, and I always have my listings end on a Sunday for that very reason.

Grendels said:
And one more thing that Ziz missed, never ever buy an item on a Sunday. That is when most people bid, and prices are higher then.

I have sold about 300 items on ebay, and I always have my listings end on a Sunday for that very reason.

Yeah, when I sold on Ebay, I noticed that too.

There is one thing that really bugs me about eBay, and that's the cheaters.
People with multiple accounts to raise the price of an item on an auction.
Also, stores that will have access to different accounts to the same.

Not long ago I was watching a certain armor kit with accessories go without bids for the longest time.
I decided to buy this kit. I made the mistake of asking the seller if he was goin to list the kit again.
When he listed the kit, I bid on the kit. About a day before the end of the auction, another bit popped up.
It was just enough money to bring the final sale to an exact round figure. Coincidence. I think not!
But I cannot prove it.

The biggest thing I've seen lately are the "shipping gougers."
yeah, the model's nice and cheap. But they NAIL you with shipping.

Along these lines, when I'm planning a bid, I ALWAYS factor in the shipping cost as part of the price I'll be paying.

Latest posts

Back