"I can hold it!" (Bandai 1/72 X-wing, Red 6) [DONE!]

After my build of Luke's X-wing, I had some free time and an X-wing in pieces so I decided to do a quick build of the most endearing Rebel pilot from Star Wars: Jek Porkins! This is supposed to be a for-fun project, but when the client that I did Luke's X-wing for caught wind of it, he told me he was interested in buying it. He has the Porkins statue from SDCC 2014 and wants to display the ship next to it.

His color scheme has always been among my favorites and I think it's because it has similar colors to my favorite American football team, the Washington Redskins. Since this model was already disassembled, I went ahead and primed everything with some Tamiya Surface Primer from a rattle can. I preshaded everything with Tamiya German Grey (XF-63) and then gave the model a base coat using the same color I mixed for Luke's X-wing.

porkins.jpg
porkins2.jpg
porkins3.jpg

His paneling isn't as varied as Luke's, but it is still rather interesting and the dark red color is unique to his ship. The yellow is Vallejo Model Air Ochre (71.033) and the dark red is a 4:1 mix of Vallejo Model Air Hull Red (71.039) and Fire Red (71.084). I used AK Interactive Heavy Chipping Fluid for the scuff marks on those colors. The lighter red is a 10:1 mix of Tamiya Flat Red (XF-7) and Hull Red (XF-9). I used some masking fluid applied with a piece of torn foam for the chipping effects.

With the filter on this model, I used white spirits instead of turpenoid like last time. I let a piece of sprue soak in some white spirits all day and there seemed to be no ill effects so I went ahead and gave it a try. There are two coats of a filter made with 502 Abteilung German Ochre; the effect is obvious on the S-foil with the grey paneling, which was painted with Tamiya Royal Light Grey (XF-80). I added the grey panel just to give the model a little more variation.

porkins4.jpg
porkins5.jpg

After giving the model a couple of coats of Future, I applied a gunk wash using my favorite oil color, 502 Abteilung Starship Filth. In this picture, the bottom half of the fuselage has already had the oil paint applied and wiped away while the top half has not, leaving a noticeable difference. After all of the parts are done they will be left to dry for a week or so and then will be given a matte varnish in preparation for more weathering. Gunk washes have quickly become one of my preferred methods of weathering. The dirty surface effect they create works very well with Star Wars ships and it really makes a nice base for the rest of the weathering.

porkins.jpg

After the oil paint had dried, I applied a couple of coats of matte varnish on the model. After the varnish dries for a day or two, I will move on to discoloring the individual panels with different oil colors. I'm not sure what to do with the base at this moment, but I probably won't use the Death Star tile that came with the kit.

IMG_3496.jpg

Re: "I can hold it!" (Bandai 1/72 X-wing, Red 6)

Nice ;D

What are meaning " gunk washes " ?

Thanks ,
Uru

urumomo said:
Nice ;D

What are meaning " gunk washes " ?

Thanks ,
Uru
Apply a gloss coat to the model, apply oil paint of your desired color on to the model directly from the tube, work it into the panel lines and recessed areas, then wipe it off with a rag.

You get multiple effects by doing this. It acts as a panel line wash, oil paint builds up in the in recesses to give the model some shading and depth, and it discolors the surface to make it appear dirty.

Ah , OK .
A really thick wash .

Just making sure it wasn't GUNKTM company that I never heard of ;D

Thanks ,
Uru

Excellent work on this. Nice to see more of the squadron out there

wow very cool looking I love the colours. I wasn't sure what you ment by gunk washes either now I do :)

Very nice looking! It is not often that you see the Porkins color scheme. I like it. The details on your weathering process are much appreciated.

Thanks everyone! The kind words are very much appreciated!

All of the oil and pigment weathering is complete! I used the same process on this ship that I did on Luke's: various oil paints for panel discoloration and pigments for streaks and blaster marks. I also picked up some small wood plaques from Hobby Lobby to serve as a base. They came in a two-pack and were pretty cheap. (Like $3 or so).

IMG_3507.jpg
IMG_3508.jpg
IMG_3509.jpg

I won't be using the plastic stand, that was just for demonstration purposes. I'm thinking of making the base gloss black with a red Starbird in the center and attacking the ship with a clear acrylic rod or a metal rod painted black.

base.jpg

;D

Wow ,, totally transformed .
You top-coated everything at the end ?

Uru

Your well proven weathering technique comes out awesome once again. That looks great!

Do you have any videos of the process?

urumomo said:
;D

Wow ,, totally transformed .
You top-coated everything at the end ?

Uru
No, I typically don't top coat over pigments because the model won't really get handled much. The oil and pigment weathering was all done over the matte coat that was applied after the oil gunk wash had dried.

Fantastic work man. Very cool.

Hagoth said:
Your well proven weathering technique comes out awesome once again. That looks great!

Do you have any videos of the process?
Thanks mate!

Unfortunately, I do not have any videos of my builds. It's something I have considered doing, but given the limited time with which I have to work on models to begin with, I'm worried that video production will eat up too much of said time. I might eventually attempt some videos because you aren't the first person to ask me about it! :)

Yeah, I understand.

Next option, a week long retreat where we can all gather together and work on the craft and learn in each others presence. ::) Yeah, I wish.

Fantastic work on that tiny model. You make it look huge! Great job, :eek:

Hagoth said:
Yeah, I understand.

Next option, a week long retreat where we can all gather together and work on the craft and learn in each others presence. ::) Yeah, I wish.
Funny you should mention that as I've had two of my friends ask me if they could come over and learn how to use an airbrush and just watch my paint process in general. I try to document what I do with photographs as best I can, but a lot of times I just get carried away with what I'm doing that I forget to stop and snap some pictures.

I've been looking into using my Nikon D3100 to start doing rudimentary modeling videos but I need a new lens because the kit lens isn't best for that sort of thing. The other thing I worry about is the fact that I don't feel like I have anything to add to modeling world; there are guys out there that already make videos whose skills far surpass my own!

jake said:
Fantastic work on that tiny model. You make it look huge! Great job, :eek:
Thanks mate!

When photographed properly, the small scale of these models disappears. I would say that's more a testament to Bandai's extremely fine detailing than it is to my painting!

Latest posts

Back