How do you take spray paint off canopy windows??? Plz help..I biffed it.

Atomicdog

STAY IN THE RACE!
Hi. I am finishing up another model(SR-71 Blackbird). I just sprayed it with Flat Black. I thought I masked the whole canopy windows, but I there is a small corner section that was not covered. Is their a trick to get this paint off canopy? Canopy is already glued on to cockpit. Sorry, I just returned to building models again, so I am a 35 year old rookie...LoL. Any tips will help...ty.

If you used Acrlyic paint it is quite easy. Take a toothpick and cut it diagonal on one end. Use the created tip to slowly and gently scrape the paint off. Once the paint is gone you can brush on some Future to make it shine and remove any scratches. Future self-levels so everything will be smooth.

If you used an enamel or lacquer you might be removing the canopy, striping it with some oven cleaner and repainting.

HTH and God Bless,

Ken

Hey dude...

what icek said but I must admit I tried once with enamel and worked great!!!
Just take a cotton swab, those with the strongest tip you can find and dip it in the most gentle thinner you can find for enamel....go "scratch" the part where you have the unwanted paint,then take the compound and polish that part, which will be a bit foggy after the treatment with thinner, and work hard until you get it shiny again, then take future and cover it...
that's it!!!!
I've done it twice and with care works great!!!

Cheers

OOoOOOoOO new techniques to bail me out after acidents!

Thanks Jack.

God Bless,

Ken

so, oven cleaner won't mess up the plastic at all???
I've never used it and I've never tried Future...which I'm not sure what it does, but a lot of people are swearing by it.

Future is just excellent! Brilliant stuff. Also used when the model is finished up to the decal stage for an overall sealant. Then decals then Matt finish etc.

Another trick I have used to great effect (don't worry we all duff up canopies) is a cotton bud and some Mothers Mag & Alloy polish, or 3M Marine Polish or McGuires Diamond polish. All very very good, very fine abrasive pastes. Try 'em :)

ScreamingSamuraiStudio said:
so, oven cleaner won't mess up the plastic at all???
I've never used it and I've never tried Future...which I'm not sure what it does, but a lot of people are swearing by it.

Future or......it is now called "Pledge with Future Shine premium floor finish" can be found at any big box store in the cleaning products area. I use it for dipping canopies to give them that polished out shine. I also airbrush it strait (no thinner) on to my models for a clear gloss coat before decals. It dries very tough and does not yellow. I use Solvaset decal setting solution and it literally melts the decal right into the Future making them look painted on. I do NOT recommend this for everyone first try as it took me some trial and error to get it to work the way I want it too. Solvaset is a very strong decal setting solution and it can destroy some brands of decals outright. I also then airbrush a second coat of Future over the decals in prep for weathering. As long as I do not use Acrlyic medium for weathering this allows me to simply wipe off the weathering if I do not like the result and start over.

ALOT more info can be found here: http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

igor57 said:
Future is just excellent! Brilliant stuff. Also used when the model is finished up to the decal stage for an overall sealant. Then decals then Matt finish etc.

Another trick I have used to great effect (don't worry we all duff up canopies) is a cotton bud and some Mothers Mag & Alloy polish, or 3M Marine Polish or McGuires Diamond polish. All very very good, very fine abrasive pastes. Try 'em :)

Before I started doing Future dips with my canopies I used the old fashioned white paste toothpaste for the same thing. The gel type does not include the fine abrasive so it does not work well. Now I just ise a multi-grit nail polisher to the finest grit and then Futue dip, looks good every time.

HTH and God Bless,

Ken

For dips I place my parts on a rack made from toothpicks then put that under a cover to keep the dust off.
Jul11_0003.jpg

Hope it helps.

its somtimes easier to just coat the canopy in futer or humbrol clearfix, spray and then take the paint off with a toothpic and then just use future again. this also means that you can easily leave the colour on the window edges and frame easier than masking.

Latest posts

Back